3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Reduced air flow in all HVAC modes

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 06:24 PM
oldveeracer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced air flow in all HVAC modes

2006 Ram 1500 (Night Runner) quad cab...switched to DEFROST mode one day and heard a "clunk" on right side of dash. All modes/intermediate positions work using rotary switch but air flow is drastically reduced for each function and the fan is overworking/strained. Same lack of flow in NORM or RECIRC. Any ideas; will this require a dash "lobotomy? Think that flow must be partially blocked near the blower outlet ??

Also, any idea how many Night Runners were produced? Have only seen (3) in the past 10 years with travels through most states east of the Mississippi.

THANKS

Old 04-08-2019, 07:14 AM
catfish621
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove the fan motor. Reach up into hole and you will feel the recirc door which has broken. Remove door and reassemble. I didn't bother replacing the door.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:21 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

I did the same on my 2004 1500. I still have the replacement door with steel shaft from Dorman in the stash... who'd know I'd end up with another 2004 years later.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-52074-902-325.aspx

Old 04-09-2019, 06:57 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It sounds like recirc door and not hard to replace and a quick fix ,,but if any of the other 4 doors break then its time to drop dash an they will eventually break, as its a known problem ,
My truck recirc door broke followed by 2 more of the other blend doors in a year or so according to previous owner so I replaced all when I bought truck , Its not that hard to drop the dash and replace all 5 blend doors , I dropped my dash out in a just over an hour , did not have to drop steering column only drop down and pulled dash an laid it over in front seat as I did not have helper to take out ,but then had access to the heater box ,an had that out in about another hour , of course you need to unhook heater hoses an A/C lines and lose the Freon but far easier than some do by cutting the heater box up to replace the doors , I did mine in 4 to 6 hours and back together ,but I was prepared with a good research an instructional video on you tube an proper tools and all parts at hand and then charged the A/C a few days later,,hardest thing is the panel that is the plastic cover over defrost outlets an is across front part of dash , be careful as it needs to lift an pull towards you at same time to be removed , pry easily , it becomes brittle over time out in sun , can be replaced but not cheap unless you find used one

Last edited by 72rtchallenger; 04-09-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Reduced air flow in all HVAC modes