3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

48RE question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Rusty Garrett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48RE question

I have a 2004 Ram 2500 with 5.9L Cummins and 48RE transmission. Recently the torque converter cooler failed and I'm in the process of getting everything cleaned and put back together. During cleaning out of the transmission pan, I discovered what looks to be half a metal ring of some kind (it's in 3 pieces, but all three pieces look like they fit together) stuck to the magnet in the bottom of the pan (looks to be about 1/4" in wide, pretty thin, looks like it could be about 4 in or so in diameter if there was a complete ring). i'm curious what it actually is? I'm trying to keep from spending a gob of cash on the thing if I can keep from it. Hopefully any of you folks out there can help me out?.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:55 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry. Doesnt sound good to me. Can you post a pic. A guess would be a snap ring off a clutch pack but thats only a guess.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Snap ring for one of the clutch packs. I think the O/D unit. Standard problem on these..... According to theory, you can rebuild JUST the O/D unit...... but, if it actually needs it, likely so does the rest of the trans. Given you have had other issues, think I would either rebuild, or replace the trans.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Rusty Garrett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Requested pic

thank you guys for the help, you've somewhat confirmed my suspicions. Next question: will most mechanics just rebuild everything or will they just replace what's broken or worn out? I've seen the prices for rebuild kits (less than 700-800), but mechanics shoot me a price well above $2000.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

I would hope that 2 grand includes whatever parts they want to put in. They also tend to include a bit of cushion for hard parts that may need to be replaced. Generally, clutches/steels, seals, gaskets, o-rings, etc will get replaced, along with any broken/damaged parts. The rest get re-used. The 48 is a pretty stout trans, so, likely it's just clutches that are the major issue for ya. See if the shop will let you bring in your own parts, and what they will charge for labor/incidentals, and get a GOOD quality rebuild kit. Shouldn't ever have to worry about it again.

Quick Reply: 48RE question