3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifting an 03

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 10:42 AM
Hideout
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting an 03

Hello. My friend runs a custom American car shop in Japan, and I help him out occasionally. His friend has an 03 with torsion bars, and he'd like to lift it by 8 inches. He already has huge tires. We haven't been able to find kits over 6 inches for torsion bar setups. What we'd really like to do is replace the whole front clip with coil-over suspension, but because Ram 1500s are very rare around here, we can't exactly head to the junkyard and see what parts we'd need and how difficult it would be. Could anyone share some insight?

Cost and skill required aren't particularly big issues, but something we can't do is cut the frame. We can weld to it easy enough, but if we cut things off of it, it has to be stress tested before it's allowed back on the road, and that's a nightmare of paperwork and very expensive.

The truck is a 2003 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 4WD with torsion bars.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

I can find 7" lift kits, with a cursory search. Think I would skip the rear blocks, and go with different springs in the rear though. If you still want more lift, a 2 or 3 inch body lift would likely get you where you want to be.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:46 PM
Hideout
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think it would be ok for the 4wd version? The listing says it's for 2wd only. And I'll definitely look into body lift as well, thanks for the tip.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Hideout
Do you think it would be ok for the 4wd version? The listing says it's for 2wd only. And I'll definitely look into body lift as well, thanks for the tip.
Ooops. Missed that part..... That's rather critical, and no, I don't think the 2wd version will work on a 4wd. They do have 5 and 6 inch lifts for 4wd though.

Quick Reply: Lifting an 03