3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing lower control arm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 03:50 PM
Phaelax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing lower control arm?

I have an '04 1500 4x4 and what started out as a simple brake job has now lead into rebuilding the front-end suspension. I bought the truck last summer as a beater to haul construction material, roughly 230k miles. The sway bar links and shocks are broken and disconnected on both sides of the truck. A bit upset that I had new wheels put on the truck and the shop never mentioned that hey, you have no suspension!

I've fixed the driver side, but the passenger side is the problem. The bolt for the lower shock mount snapped off. After I tried to extract it and failed, I took it to a shop and had them try. Now their extraction bit snapped off inside the bolt and I don't see any other way of attempting to get it out at this point, so new control arm unfortunately. I got one with ball joints already in place, figured mine needed replaced anyway.

Ok, so my question, how do I remove the lower control arm? It looks straight forward but I've never done anything with torsion bars before and don't know how to release the tension. About the only thing I've gathered from the internet is that if I don't do that I could have a very bad day. My mechanic skills only go as far as things I've actually come across on my own vehicles in the past, I'm no expert. I can probably tell you more about fixing a jaguar than anything on a truck. So if anyone could explain it to me like I'm a 3rd grader that'd be great.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:22 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Its unfortunate the extractor bit broke off inside, I would probably try and get it out and drill out an tap to proper size if at all possible before changing lower control arm but nothing is easy , but I would suggest using something like this on a new control arm or the old one if you can https://fabtechmotorsports.com/produ...ount-fts93013/ , also here is some info on removing torsion bars https://www.groundforce.com/files/in...3827-15291.pdf

Old 05-20-2019, 11:21 AM
Phaelax

The document was helpful. Once I lift the wheel off the ground, the torsion adjuster bolt is already loose. So wouldn't that mean the tension on the bar is already removed? If the unloader tool is just to relieve tension on the bolt so I can remove it and the key, then as far as I can tell I wouldn't need the tool. I must clearly be missing something here.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:20 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional

Originally Posted by Phaelax
The document was helpful. Once I lift the wheel off the ground, the torsion adjuster bolt is already loose. So wouldn't that mean the tension on the bar is already removed? If the unloader tool is just to relieve tension on the bolt so I can remove it and the key, then as far as I can tell I wouldn't need the tool. I must clearly be missing something here.
I believe the tool is for both, unloading an loading the the tension , but I have not had the pleasure of removing mine so unsure ,, I have done several older moper cars but they are a little different on 70 model cars

Old 05-20-2019, 11:26 PM
Phaelax

Originally Posted by 72rtchallenger
I believe the tool is for both, unloading an loading the the tension , but I have not had the pleasure of removing mine so unsure ,, I have done several older moper cars but they are a little different on 70 model cars
I might pick your brain on that some day, I have a '73 duster that could use a little suspension work.

I had some trouble with the larger bolts on control arm. No impact to break them loose and I tore a rib muscle last week making it a bit difficult for me to put any real force on a wrench myself. I decided to just bite the bullet and have a shop replace the control arm for me. Finding one that would use customer supplied parts was difficult itself. NTB refused unless I bought their much more expensive part. (twice the price) Considering they're the ones that snapped off the extraction bit I thought they'd at least cut me some slack.

I like those brackets, seems like a real good idea though pricey for just a bracket. They're a little cheaper on amazon yet still sold by fabtech.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional

I might pick your brain on that some day, I have a '73 duster that could use a little suspension work.

I had some trouble with the larger bolts on control arm. No impact to break them loose and I tore a rib muscle last week making it a bit difficult for me to put any real force on a wrench myself. I decided to just bite the bullet and have a shop replace the control arm for me. Finding one that would use customer supplied parts was difficult itself. NTB refused unless I bought their much more expensive part. (twice the price) Considering they're the ones that snapped off the extraction bit I thought they'd at least cut me some slack.

I like those brackets, seems like a real good idea though pricey for just a bracket. They're a little cheaper on amazon yet still sold by fabtech.
Yeah if I ever have to tear into mine I plan on using those brackets

Old 05-23-2019, 03:42 PM
Phaelax

I installed the brackets today, but did have a small issue. The hole for the stabilizer link didn't line up perfectly on my new aftermarket control arm. It was off maybe a 1/16". I worked the hole out larger on a drill press, there's enough material that I doubt it'll cause any issues. At 230k miles, I don't know if I'll have the truck long enough to ever have to replace the shocks again but if I do (or the next guy) hopefully it won't be the headache I had.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:29 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional

I installed the brackets today, but did have a small issue. The hole for the stabilizer link didn't line up perfectly on my new aftermarket control arm. It was off maybe a 1/16". I worked the hole out larger on a drill press, there's enough material that I doubt it'll cause any issues. At 230k miles, I don't know if I'll have the truck long enough to ever have to replace the shocks again but if I do (or the next guy) hopefully it won't be the headache I had.
Glad you got it going

Quick Reply: Replacing lower control arm?