3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to test an IAC valve/motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 02:10 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like you're chasing the same demons I am, but in a different form. However my problem is my engine refuses to rev over 4100Rpm, its runs a bit sluggish and all of the parameters for success are there, the one thing I cannot find is why this problem happens.

So I decided that I'm confident in my abilities to time an engine properly and rebuild as well diagnostics, all the engines vitals are in great shape, so the one missing link is the PCM. Well I just bought a replacement from ebay and its really a no brainer for me right now, lifetime warranty pcm $157 free shipping and paypal protected. They program the pcm to your VIN and Mileage. All you need to do is identify the correct part number PCM you have, give them your vin and mileage and they send you a pcm. Plus since you'll be using paypal they take the buyers side EVERY time so its worth a shot to buy a pcm.

I just ordered mine tonight, so I will see by next week if this fixes my issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362064783621 This is the link for the one I bought (computer S/N for my specific truck), no core needed.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:25 AM
kevaug
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know if the new PCM solves your issues.
Are you able to return it if it doesnt ?
I did see them out on ebay,as Ive been chasing my tail since April! Mine would cost $210 so Ive been a little reluctant on pulling the trigger just yet
There were others on ebay - same price - but like you said these guys didnt require a core return.
I do have an appointment with an independent shop on Tuesday for a diagnosis, they specialize in computers.
I brought it to the dealer once and they wanted to swap out my IAC and clean my TB for almost $500 !!! So I said no.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:39 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kevaug
Let me know if the new PCM solves your issues.
Are you able to return it if it doesnt ?
I did see them out on ebay,as Ive been chasing my tail since April! Mine would cost $210 so Ive been a little reluctant on pulling the trigger just yet
There were others on ebay - same price - but like you said these guys didnt require a core return.
I do have an appointment with an independent shop on Tuesday for a diagnosis, they specialize in computers.
I brought it to the dealer once and they wanted to swap out my IAC and clean my TB for almost $500 !!! So I said no.
Yes you can return it. As long as you use paypal you can return an item and get your money back no matter what, EVEN IF the seller doesn't accept returns, its not up to them!. Ebay always sides with the buyer. My computer should be delivered sometime early this next week so I will definitely keep you updated if it brings success.

In your situation I'm not sure if you ever said you changed your throttle position sensor at all? Its a very common problem that causes unusual engine revs and its also very cheap to fix in the 4.7 engines ($25-$30 usually), its also the same one as a 5.9/360 & 5.2/318 would use, if you have one of those engines laying around, its a direct swap. My sisters first gen Durango with the 4.7 she used to have would raise 400rpm on the highway & cruising & surge at all rpm's, changed TPS and fixed the rev issue. The problem with a lot of these sensors is that if there was an electrical issue it would throw a code for it, often times when theres not a code especially in something like a TPS it means the internal potentiometer is worn but the electrical circuits themselves are fine so no code would be thrown.

If a new TPS does not cure the problem, I would suspect a Idle Air control motor and/or a vacuum leak. If these issues have been explored and it still does it...PCM replacement time.

Here's a video that shows the symptoms.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 07-20-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:59 AM
kevaug
Rookie

Did you ever get the new PCM installed?

I had tested all I could mechanically and couldn't find anything creating the high idle. I brought it to Dodge and they wanted to charge me almost $500 to clean my TB and swap out the IAC. I took the truck back but paid almost $150 in a diagnose fee for basically nothing.

I just brought mine in for another diagnosis at an independent shop - they spent 3 days on it and couldnt find anything mechanically wrong with it (IAC,MAP,TPS,PCV all fine, no vac leaks). They did say they found 3 wires on the PCM connector that were rubbing together and were worn bare. They said they put electrical tape on them but for the life of me I didnt see any new shiny electrical tape.
So because of this they suggested I get a new PCM as they think the water from the huge puddle must have shorted out the wires and fried the PCM. I dont think they tested the PCM this is just their theory from the water & exposed wires. They charged me an hours worth of labor $100.

They dont fix PCMs at this shop and referred me to another shop for the repair. I checked with Dodge for some laughs and they wanted $770 to replace the PCM.
The shop this place recommended wouldnt give me a price because he said PCMs rarely fail and he would like to diagnose it for $130 before going that route.

I can buy the PCM for $210 and obviously it is just 3 small bolts and 3 connectors. Is it worth throwing this part at it or should I go for another diagnosis?

Old 07-29-2019, 08:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

How much have you already spend on diagnosis, and found nothing? Seems to me, PCM is about your last option, and you have already spent more, to accomplish very little.......

Old 07-29-2019, 09:57 AM
kevaug
Rookie

Hey You - you are so correct. $55 by my choice on MAP & TPS. $250 in dealer & independent shop diag fees. Another $50 in IAC and TB gasket & cleaner (in case Dodge was correct - I wasnt going to do it as I didnt think the IAC was bad but I let them get into my head!!!) And another $15 on spark plugs and PCV valve & hose just because it was time to change anyway.
So yes $370 and truck still has the high idle.
I will order PCM now. Hopefully it works if not then I'll spend the extra $130 for another diagnosis. I will double check all the PCM connectors for bare wires while the part is coming in.
I thought I was doing the right thing by bringing it to the dealer after I was done and gave up. i didnt expect them to try and screw me. I figured if anyone had the equipment and expertise to pinpoint the fix it would be them.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

One would think if anyone could figure it out, it would be the dealer..... but, it has gotten to the point that the techs there are more parts changers, than actually technicians...... That is a trend I see only getting worse, as more and more systems become dependent on computers. Even the friggin' turn signals are now computer controlled....... Personally, I think it's idiotic...... but then, I am not in management, looking forward to my next multi-million dollar bonus check.....

The following users liked this post:
Alex Medeiros (07-30-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 10:44 PM
kevaug
Rookie

So the new PCM did fix my high idle issue but now I have an ABS light flashing and setting an ABS code of 54 (Shorted Dump Coil Rear) and 55 (no code definition available on my scan tool). I did try and clear these codes with my scan tool but it was to no avail.

So I am not sure if the PCM they sent me is totally functional since as indicated before hitting the puddle my truck was perfect.

Perhaps the puddle also ruined something with my ABS and my PCM wasnt detecting it.

Also I ordered a 50628778AC PCM and they sent me a 50628778AD. I called their tech support and they said this was OK - they said the AD unit would be more up to date than the AC unit and I could install it no problem. Physically the AD unit is much heavier than my unit and has heat sink fins on the back - my OEM AC unit is just flat and much lighter.

I just noticed from my scan tool that the VIN # is also wrong. That surprises me since they require your VIN # to program it. Maybe they sent me someone elses unit?

I did send them an email detailing all of this.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 08-03-2019, 06:20 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Its not configured to your truck, did you buy one from someone claiming they would program it for your VIN? If so, they need to finish the job. If not, you probably need to find a dealer that will flash it for you.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:55 AM
kevaug
Rookie

Yes I bought it from Flagship One out of New York and they required my VIN for programming. They have been excellent with their customer service and communication and are highly rated.
Im wondering since the version of mine ended in AC and they sent me an AD if they didnt send the wrong PCM to me and someone else got my AC unit.
I have no doubts if the problem is on their end that they will make it right. It came with a lifetime warranty.

Quick Reply: How to test an IAC valve/motor