3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My truck frame is rotting!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 12:49 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not cheap is just a bit of an understatement. Might be easier/cheaper to find a similar year truck, in better condition, with a blown motor, or trans..... move the good stuff to that one.

+1 on that

Old 07-02-2019, 03:44 PM
swamper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to a certified welder he told me 2 grand omg and told me he does these repairs all the time told me not to drive it much until i get it fixed now im really bummed anyways he told me hes going to take the bed and gas tank off and redo the whole thing i really don't want to spend that much i could see 800 bucks maybe.but I cant get a truck like this one for 2 grand around here and most are all rotting from the winters salt.I did find an 2nd gen like mine for $ 2.500 but the guy told me someones stoping to look at it thursday and he will let me know .what to do hmm

Last edited by swamper; 07-02-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:51 PM
swamper
Veteran

watch this video ~~>

Old 07-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

Originally Posted by swamper
I went to a certified welder he told me 2 grand omg and told me he does these repairs all the time told me not to drive it much until i get it fixed now im really bummed anyways he told me hes going to take the bed and gas tank off and redo the whole thing i really don't want to spend that much i could see 800 bucks maybe.but I cant get a truck like this one for 2 grand around here and most are all rotting from the winters salt.I did find an 2nd gen like mine for $ 2.500 but the guy told me someones stoping to look at it thursday and he will let me know .what to do hmm

Yikes that is expensive. That is like 1/3 of what the truck worth...

Old 07-02-2019, 05:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Yikes that is expensive. That is like 1/3 of what the truck worth...
How much is it worth with a rotted frame?

Old 07-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How much is it worth with a rotted frame?

If only I knew

Old 07-03-2019, 12:39 AM
swamper
Veteran
Angry

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
If only I knew
lol think I may try selling it to a used car dealer who does these kinda repairs wonder what he will offer me im guessing a grand darn grrrr. what type of frames did 2nd gens have?im pretty sure it wasn't a box frame back then was it?

Old 07-03-2019, 12:43 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

lol think I may try selling it to a used car dealer who does these kinda repairs wonder what he will offer me im guessing a grand darn grrrr. what type of frames did 2nd gens have?im pretty sure it wasn't a box frame back then was it?
Ya, or you could trade it in when you purchase a new/used vehicle... sucks that your frame is rotting

Old 07-03-2019, 07:29 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I think I'd rather buy a southern un-rusted frame, rustproof it well, and then swap my stuff over. $2k for a repaired frame wouldn't hold its value on resale.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:31 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

3rd gen have hydroformed frames, basically enabling lighterweight steel to be used. Typically forms a tube for strength. 2nd gens have a C style frame, but those can rust too. Especially beside the gas tank.

Quick Reply: My truck frame is rotting!