3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 09:33 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C issues

So, I've got a slow leak from near the evap core plus a terrible smell from the a/c that I've been unable to eliminate. I'm ready to tackle replacing the evap core. I know it's quite a job and I'm only wanting to do this once. What else should I be doing at same time? Heater core, for sure. Blend doors also, I'm guessing (probably have at least one broken as I can feel air out the floor even with it set on vent.) What's the best source for all of this stuff? Is there a favorite tutorial or is it just pick whatever YouTube video and go?

Old 07-01-2019, 09:35 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Are all of the rams of that year model the same for the dash? 1500 and 2500?

Mine is an 06 1500 Mega cab

Old 07-01-2019, 01:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Dash is likely the same across the board. You don't want used parts though...... The smell is likely mildew from a clogged drain, something you can take care of while you have it apart rather easily. I've also seen mice build nests in heater boxes in trucks that don't get driven often.... that is a big mess, and smells horrid......

Old 07-01-2019, 09:01 PM
KDodge75
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From someone who has had the dash out 3 times now for 3 different issues, remove the entire heater box, replace the blend doors. Replace the nylon piece that connects to the actuator and blend door. The nub breaks off causing the blend door to be the stop. This then causes them to break. If you decide to repair the existing doors, what I did was I drilled several tiny holes around the end of the blend door that breaks. I then wrap wire around it good and tight and coat it all with epoxy. Can't use thick wire as it'll interfere with door operation. Do this for all of them even if not broken. I then replaced all the foam with new foam since it was disintegrating. For the nylon stops that break off, I drill where the stop was then tap it, add some epoxy to the hole then install a set screw that sticks out enough to catch the stop location on the actuator.

Inspect and clean the heater core good to remove junk and odor.

Clean the heater box well to remove any odor.

Reassemble.

Install.

Can you tell I'm cheap? Cheap but I never have to go back and repeat a previous repair I've made.

If you're not cheap like me, go with the Heater Treater kit.

The small dash panel may break. Mine did the third time I had the dash out. I went a few years without one then found that dorman made a replacement for under $100 so I bought one recently. My dash is now starting to crack in several places so that's my next project.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:23 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Ordered:
New blower motor
New evap core
New hearer core
5 new blend doors
Weather stripping for where vents connect
A/C line removal tool

Going to tear into it this weekend and hopefully have it ready to go to the shop for a recharge. My son is coming down to visit on Saturday and give me a hand.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:28 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Well, it took me most of yesterday and a little this morning but I took the dash out and the hvac box out, stripped the hvac box all the way down and cleaned every part, installed the new blend doors, hearer core, evap core, new blower motor, and new weather stripping. The blend door for floor/defrost was stripped out and the linkage for the rear Mega Cab vents was bent and not even attached.

Only thing I lack is taking it to my buddy's shop to have the a/c recharged. Everything else works just as it should now.

I will need a new top dash cover panel as the old one literally crumbled into a thousand pieces as I tried to get it out.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:51 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

great work...you saved yourself some $. if you get it all back together with nothing broken and no screws leftover its a win.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:25 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by primem
great work...you saved yourself some $. if you get it all back together with nothing broken and no screws leftover its a win.
All back together and tested. Only thing broken was the top dash cover. Shattered like glass. Like I've seen stronger saltine crackers.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:26 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Anyone know the best place to get the top dash cover?

Old 08-18-2019, 11:42 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8scott72
Anyone know the best place to get the top dash cover?

I'd probably check Dodge first personally, see if there's any old stock around, Rock Auto next probably

I know it's a little late for this but I was going to suggest the aluminum blend door kit, little pricey but never break again, it's on my list to order if I ever need to pull my dash, fortunately it looks like I have a pretty new ac system and hopefully they did the heater core too

Quick Reply: A/C issues