3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Random shut down and check gauges lite

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 02:32 PM
dchvt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random shut down and check gauges lite

Hi. I am a new member with an old problem. 2 years ago I bought a 2004 Ram 1500. One day out of the blue it just stopped as I was driving down the road. It would turn over but nothing else. The check gauges lite was on. The temp gauge was way high. I sat there for about 10 minutes, trying to start it. All of the sudden it started right up. Temp gauge back to normal. Ran fine. A few months later it happened again. After the 3rd time I replaced the coolant sensor and it woked for a year. Thought I had it. It just happened again. Always wait 10 minutes and it starts right up.Gauges are always fine. . Have no idea which way to turn. Gas , electrical ?? Anyone had this happen? Thanks!!!

Last edited by dchvt; 07-08-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:41 PM
SnowBeast428
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dchvt
Hi. I am a new member with an old problem. 2 years ago I bought a 2004 Ram 1500. One day out of the blue it just stopped as I was driving down the road. It would turn over but nothing else. The check gauges lite was on. The temp gauge was way high. I sat there for about 10 minutes, trying to start it. All of the sudden it started right up. Temp gauge back to normal. Ran fine. A few months later it happened again. After the 3rd time I replaced the coolant sensor and it woked for a year. Thought I had it. It just happened again. Always wait 10 minutes and it starts right up.Gauges are always fine. . Have no idea which way to turn. Gas , electrical ?? Anyone had this happen? Thanks!!!
Sounds to me like automatic overheat shutoff. Try and check if you're running as cool as you think you are.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:55 AM
dchvt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try that . Thanks. Someone also said to reset the ICV ( throttle related). I did and will wait and see.

Quick Reply: Random shut down and check gauges lite