3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

IPM and FSM surprise

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 07:08 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts
Default IPM and FSM surprise

So I have a 04 ST model, all it has optional is AC. I really hated not having power doors and a fob... So I grabbed some power door latches and the harness, and installed them in mine last week. Previously bought a RF key fob kit from Amazon for about $15, that basically has the reversible signal relays I needed to drive the latches. So, now I need power for the RF kit. I looked in the IPM (fuse box), and found a circuit call out for power doors (#22) with a live 20A fuse in it. So I pull the IPM and check C1 connector for the wire from that circuit, sure enough the red wire is in the harness.

Then I learned some interesting stuff about the FSM. There is a reference number in front of the wire gauge and color. That number can help you locate that wire as it moves through connectors. The wire I wanted had A941 reference, used find on that and found the pin out of the C219; specifically slot #33. Ran out of time today, but I plan on pulling that major connector and adding a wire for #33 (assuming that is where the wire stops progressing). Probably get it next weekend, the kids use this truck all week.

I'll probably swap out the 20A for a 10A fuse, I only have two door latches (regular cab).

I'm getting much better at flipping through the pdf FSM, I've found its best to record the pdf page number of the interesting pages and just go right to them. Here are some example pages from the 04 Ram pdf manual:
wiring : pg 731
connector pin outs: pg 1055
Connector/Ground/Splice locator pg 1159

Just sharing, not sure this power door stuff will directly help anyone - but maybe the page refs will help someone. It took a while to figure out what was interesting to find, and the book is so large you just don't know what all is in there until you spend a pile of time looking though it.

Pics for your amusement.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:25 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Interesting. I will follow along. Thanks for posting

Old 08-02-2019, 07:08 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Dropped into the pick-n-pull jyard, that has been the source of the upgrades, to see if any new candidates have arrived... no such luck. Decided to grab the two connectors for the power seat and power door locks from a truck that had those options... where mine are empty slots.

Also broke down and ordered the miller tools proper pin tools for 1993 and up chrysler products.... miller #6680 - set of 4 pin/depin tools. Should arrive on Saturday. I have a set of 3 lisle tools that I bought quite a while ago, but couldn't get the pins removed on the door harness connectors with those - so I wasn't up for the same experience. I could have just cut the harnesses before the connectors and spliced there, but why not do it right... and I'm wanting to get the door harness done right too, as I may want to remove the doors in the future and that will be a pain w/o a disconnect.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:05 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Got the factory tools today. Grabbed the practice connectors and went about removing and adding wires. Trick I learned, after I about destroyed the spare C219, was the lock only needs to be pulled up just a little. You don't have to remove it, and really you can't remove it. I was able to work the C218 spare w/o issue, and can readily add and remove the wire I need for the power seat.

Sooo, I'm all set to add the wire I need to the C219 to power my aftermarket brake controller. And the second surprise hits, the C219 in the truck actually has the #33 wire in the harness on the instrument panel side... So it must go all the way to the instrument cluster. I stopped to think what I wanted to do. I ran out of time, but will continue work on it tomorrow. Should have operable power locks tomorrow sometime.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:16 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Decided to pull the original harness wire out of C219 and replace it with a piece of one I cut out of the jyard practice C219. Was easy, just a little screw driver to lift the lock (yellow plastic in pic) and then the #4 miller depin tool made quick work. Pushed the replacement in, was done in about 1 minute. Helps to practice a bit with one you don't care about.

I just left it in the harness with the connector, just in case someday I want that harness complete again. Wired ground to the lug on the side of the cab; ran the ground wire and two wires I made into one wrapped harness up the inside of the kick panel like the factory did. So now have working power lock (not locks). I need to run a wire across the dash to the passenger side yet. That shouldn't be hard, just time consuming-maybe.

Pretty happy with the keyless unit I bought, seems to work good..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075JGTYF9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075JGTYF9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-05-2019, 10:23 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Finished it up tonight. The right side door harness on the cab is a pain the way things are routed. Also wasn't trivial to get the wires across the dash. I tape wrapped the wires together then put them in a small diameter split loom. Locks work great, really like the $14 kit I bought.

In a couple weeks, I'll get around to adding the power seat.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:32 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Good work! I have done similar work to wiring harnesses. Most recent was on a Honda sport bike. Needed 12v source for add ons like gps and phone charger etc. Found empty cavities in the fuse block. One side of the fuse cavities was already connected with terminals coming from a main bus bar 12v supply. I added outgoing fuse terminals to the other side and installed appropriate fuses for the add on devices. Turned out great and factory looking.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:06 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
Good work! I have done similar work to wiring harnesses. Most recent was on a Honda sport bike. Needed 12v source for add ons like gps and phone charger etc. Found empty cavities in the fuse block. One side of the fuse cavities was already connected with terminals coming from a main bus bar 12v supply. I added outgoing fuse terminals to the other side and installed appropriate fuses for the add on devices. Turned out great and factory looking.
Would be nice to find a source for new terminals. I guess they call them terminals, what I mean are the metal bits that you crimp wires to. I have a decent crimper, so just need the bare terminals to be able to make continuous circuits rather than splicing to a donor wire that has the terminal I need. Well, probably need different jaws that match the terminals.

Quick Reply: IPM and FSM surprise