3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Dodge Ram Quad cab Issues IPM/TIPM ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019 | 07:01 PM
dtecneon920
|
Default 04 Dodge Ram Quad cab Issues IPM/FCM ?

Hello I have a question maybe some of you people may know. But here is a little story, About 3-5 months ago i went to get truck inspected ( PA ) It failed due to simple issues. I didn't have time to get truck inspected in time so i took battery out to get charged and Some other nonsense. Mean while during that 3-5 months my Wipers and Horn worked Great. No issues with anything Electronically. So here is my question or " CRYING " for help Haha. My wipers / washer pump don’t work and horn. I jump the relay and works great aka wipers. I don’t have a horn relay just a fuse. Fuses and relays good. Checked the voltage on the relays and all good. I don’t know if it’s the multi-function switch that’s stopping it all or what. I’m confused. I checked the wiper plug has volts to it etc. turn signals work , high beams etc other than wipers / wiper pump that sprays the window.

Ok The Relays to the Wiper i get volts Fine ( Fuse Box ) ... Took a wire and jumped 87 pin and 30 pin slot and Wipers moved. Horn there is no relay ( Built in the Fuse box i guess ) so i cant jump that. Checked Resistance on Volt meter and the meter is telling me that the Relays on the board are good. I cleaned most ground wires in the engine bay , All the ones down the driver side Fender. Only ones i need to clean is the one on the Frame , and passenger side there are 2 more grounds. Im so confused on this issue. I dont know if a bad ground OR while truck was sitting a rat or little ****ing chipmunk ate a wire who the **** knows. I Checked all POS wires inside to the Multi-Function switch and i got juice to it but no go for the wipers / Wiper sprayer and horn. I dont know ...

BTW the Truck runs , Door windows works , AC , Radio ETC ETC .. Horn and Wipers / Wiper sprayer dont.

If anyone can help please and would be nice for some help. Dont get me wrong i love wiring and ETC but i hate finding the Issue to them.

Last edited by dtecneon920; 08-04-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Wrong Title ( FCM Not Tipm )
Old 08-04-2019 | 09:24 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Get the FSM and start tracing the wires in the manual. Then go validate in the truck. I've fixed both my 3rd brake lamp and left door latch signal by using the FSM, its easy once you figure out how to read the manual. There is a prefix ID on the wire nomenclature in the manual, find one instance of it and use "find" to see all the connectors it runs through.

I've done surgery on the iPM before on my 04 1500. Wasn't fun, but there is a good video on youtube. Pretty sure I referenced it before.... I lost my parking/running lights - and it was a trace that corroded and vanished off the circuit board. Also I have a recent thread where I call out a few key pages of the FSM that I find particularly useful for navigation. See that thread, I think its "IPM and FSM surprise".

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
dtecneon920 (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019 | 09:52 PM
dtecneon920
|

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Get the FSM and start tracing the wires in the manual. Then go validate in the truck. I've fixed both my 3rd brake lamp and left door latch signal by using the FSM, its easy once you figure out how to read the manual. There is a prefix ID on the wire nomenclature in the manual, find one instance of it and use "find" to see all the connectors it runs through.

I've done surgery on the iPM before on my 04 1500. Wasn't fun, but there is a good video on youtube. Pretty sure I referenced it before.... I lost my parking/running lights - and it was a trace that corroded and vanished off the circuit board. Also I have a recent thread where I call out a few key pages of the FSM that I find particularly useful for navigation. See that thread, I think its "IPM and FSM surprise".

Good luck!
OK i understand. I looked at you're thread there and i was confused for a bit. Ill take a look tomorrow, I got the Service manual on my phone and PC. I just did a quick look up on the wiper Number in front of the Wire colors and found the C5 Connector has a ground for wiper. Ill check it out more tonight ( manual ) and do some testing tomorrow. Thanks for the help

Old 08-05-2019 | 04:13 AM
dtecneon920
|

Originally Posted by fj5gtx

Good luck!
I found the YouTube video on checking the fcm and checking the pin out I guess how I wanna explain it. His was headlight issue and he showed how check volts and see if them pins aka headlights would carry a load by back probing it by adding a ground. I’ll be checking that out today lol. Second ipm is the fuse block correct? Dose that need to be programmed or is it the fcm that needs to be programmed. Example if the ipm is bad could I buy one and swap the fcm to it and would it work ? Or dose it both need to be reprogrammed?

Youtube video -

Thanks for the help once again .

Old 08-05-2019 | 05:27 PM
dtecneon920
|

UPDATE and i hope Someone will help me out here. I had tried what the guy in the video did. the horn went off and the wipers worked. Im more on the multi function switch not allowing the horn going off and ETC. What drove me nuts i tried to find the BK wire on C5 Harness under the IPM and there is no black wire. I dont know if i got the wrong diagram but the pin layout for the FCM is right. Sorry about the baby sitting part my dad was looking for his baby puppy ... I was doing the video and he trying to call him probably can hear him in background of the video. Sorry but i was trying to show you guys whats going on ..

here is the video -

Old 08-05-2019 | 06:43 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Like the guy in the video, my problem was a vaporized trace on the IPM circuit board. I haven't opportunity to diagnose a FCM, so I'm not sure what you're doing actually points a finger, I think it may tell you that the path from the IPM/FCM pinout to end point is good.

I'm assuming that a signal comes through the IPM to the FCM, and the FCM "computes" to determine what signal returns back through the IPM and finally to the endpoint. You being able to honk the horn and trigger the wipers, leads me to believe its probably either the signal to the IPM, the circuit in the IPM to the FCM, or the FCM itself not working.

I think I would verify that when you do a thing (for example press the horn button) that you can see the signal going to the pinout on the bottom of the IPM. Then its a matter of seeing if that signal progresses through the IPM to the pinout for the FCM.

Suggest you read the Factory Service Manual diagrams and pinoouts, and figure out where the signal isn't progressing.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2019 | 07:10 PM
dtecneon920
|

See there was a guy on here while ago I guess I saw the post last night. But his 2014 Dodge Ram had same issue no horn , wipers , etc etc. took his truck to dealer they did diagnostics on his tipm aka 2014 ram nothing wrong came back. Yes I know 2014 has tipm and mine is a ipm. So they replaced the multifunction switch and it fixed the issue aka horn , wipers , etc etc. . I’m about to take a relay and find the wires and wire it up to them. **** that ipm lol .. worst thing Dodge ever did. But when I go down to my fathers tomorrow I’ll find the lead wires and see if anything happens... Idk I’m about to ditch the whole truck this crap is stupid as **** lol . Everything else works fine in the truck other the damn horn , wipers , wiper sprayer to clean the window.

Last edited by dtecneon920; 08-05-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 04 Dodge Ram Quad cab Issues IPM/TIPM ?