3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

08 1500 Mega Cab lighting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 10:24 AM
dhandley01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 1500 Mega Cab lighting issues

Hello all! I just picked up a 1 owner 2008 1500 Mega Cab that was imported from Canada. I have been having an odd issue with the headlight switch. It appears that the headlight switch does not provide any functionality whatsoever. When the truck is running the headlights, taillights, gauge backlighting, and the radio is dimmed. Its like the truck is constantly stuck with the headlight switch all the way on, but moving the switch does nothing. Luckily all of the lights still turn off when the truck is not running and ignition off. I also noticed that the headlight switch does not turn on the fogs or cargo lights.

Is there a module that is preventing this functionality due to it being a canadian truck? Or are these typical symptoms of a failed headlight switch? I would like to get this sorted as I would prefer to not have my taillights on during the day and have the ability to actually see the radio during the day.

Thanks!!

Old 08-07-2019, 10:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,293 Likes on 3,040 Posts

Fogs should only work with headlights on low beam.

Cargo light? No idea there.

But, being a Canadian truck, you have Daytime Running lights. Which means you lights are on as long as the ignition is on......

Old 08-07-2019, 10:50 AM
dhandley01

Agree on the fog lights, but they do not work in any configuration. I suppose it could be the bulbs, but seems unlikely considering all of the other issues. I have heard that the canadian trucks have a DRL module, but I could not find it. I assume that the module would keep the low beams on... not the taillights, gauge lights, and dim the radio as well. Unless they half assed it!

Old 08-07-2019, 10:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,293 Likes on 3,040 Posts

I suspect they half-assed it. So far as I know, that's standard behavior for a DRL equipped car. (aside from fogs/cargo lamp not working....)

Old 08-07-2019, 10:53 AM
dhandley01

hmmmm maybe ill keep poking around for this DRL relay/module and see if that revives some functionality.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:31 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Im in Canada! lol. Daytime running lights are headlights only. No tail lights and DRL does not dim dash or radio. I always thought DRL could be turned on or off thru programming of PCM. As well around 07 DRL were integrated with turn signals. Turn L signal on and left headlight would go out. (DRL only). This allowed better visibilty for other drivers to see turn signal.
FWIW...putting emerg brake on turns off DRL.
Im not sure if you have a headlight relay? Maybe check and swap out with a known good relay?
Next step I would be trying to have a look at headlight switch and wiring. Just some info and ideas to try ??

Old 08-07-2019, 01:18 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by dhandley01
Hello all! I just picked up a 1 owner 2008 1500 Mega Cab that was imported from Canada. I have been having an odd issue with the headlight switch. It appears that the headlight switch does not provide any functionality whatsoever. When the truck is running the headlights, taillights, gauge backlighting, and the radio is dimmed. Its like the truck is constantly stuck with the headlight switch all the way on, but moving the switch does nothing. Luckily all of the lights still turn off when the truck is not running and ignition off. I also noticed that the headlight switch does not turn on the fogs or cargo lights.

Is there a module that is preventing this functionality due to it being a canadian truck? Or are these typical symptoms of a failed headlight switch? I would like to get this sorted as I would prefer to not have my taillights on during the day and have the ability to actually see the radio during the day.

Thanks!!
Does the Cargo Switch do anything when you use it? Like does it change the brightness of the gauges for example?

Old 08-07-2019, 01:22 PM
dhandley01

As far as I can tell, it does not do a thing. I feel that the headlight switch may be completely inoperable. I just find it strange that the dash lights and taillights are always on when running.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:25 PM
dhandley01

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
Im in Canada! lol. Daytime running lights are headlights only. No tail lights and DRL does not dim dash or radio. I always thought DRL could be turned on or off thru programming of PCM. As well around 07 DRL were integrated with turn signals. Turn L signal on and left headlight would go out. (DRL only). This allowed better visibilty for other drivers to see turn signal.
FWIW...putting emerg brake on turns off DRL.
Im not sure if you have a headlight relay? Maybe check and swap out with a known good relay?
Next step I would be trying to have a look at headlight switch and wiring. Just some info and ideas to try ??
huh that is strange! My headlights remain illuminated when either blinker is activated. I am suspecting that the wiring was messed with during the import process. The dealer told me they have a guy who does dash swaps to show MP/H instead of KM/H. I would guess that they messed with the lighting as well or they forgot to plug something in when re-assembling the cluster.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:09 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check your headlamp relay. Only takes a minute. Pull it out. See if lights go off. Then swap in another one. Its a starting point of sorts.

Quick Reply: 08 1500 Mega Cab lighting issues