3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:12 PM
MY D8ONA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil

I'm almost at 3000 miles on my Daytona 1500. I'm thinking of going to synthetic oil. Maybe Amsoil. So if I use regular motor oil and change it every 3000 or synthetic and change it every 25,000. Is there really a difference?

Old 12-15-2005, 01:55 AM
tamuccmike
Veteran
Default RE: Synthetic Oil

well synthetic changes every 6,000 not 25,000, that formula is for older engines...if i were you id get mobil one oil, 5w 30 if its a hemi...and a k&n oil filter...supposedly syn. oil gives a +1 hp advantage, but overall you will not feel any difference, but it better protects the engine...id go syn. either way...i think you might want to wait to go full syn. til you have at least 5,000 miles...just some advice...

Old 12-15-2005, 02:08 AM
DonG
Veteran

Reguardless of any synthetic oil claims of extended drain intervals, you are taking a huge risk exceeding Dodges change intervals. At most 6,000 miles depending upon which maintenance schedule you follow. So of your two options, you engine will probably be much better of with conventional oil every 3K.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:43 PM
bluS4

I would wait to change over to synthetic until there is at least 10,000 miles on the engine. Your engine needs to break in, and synthetic oil lubricates so well the engine takes much longer to break in. Once you start using synthetic, do not swap back and forth between dyno oil and synthetic, it causes the oil to coagulate.

Also, you can go much longer without changing the oil with synthetic. As far as changing the oil every 25,000 miles, I would definitely do it more often than that. Porsche and other european manufacturers use Mobil 1 synthetic from the begining and recommend changing the oil every 10,000-15,000 miles. I personally don't wait that long. I usually change the oil about every 5,000 miles or 6 months wichever comes first. I've heard of guys having their synthetic oil checked at a laboratory with 10,000 miles on the same oil, and there was no significant breakdown of the oil.

Amsoil is good synthetic, but Mobil 1 is much easier to find, and can be found cheaper. Either way, synthetic will save you money in the long run (fewer oil changes, less wear of engine, etc.).

YMMV

Old 12-15-2005, 10:03 PM
MY D8ONA

I dont think I could sleep at night letting any oil stay in my new baby 25,000 miles. Just wanted some input. My brothers girlfriend is an Amsoil dealer so I think access would be O.K.. I here testimonials about the superb protection of synthetics. I trying to sort through the hype. So I'm hearing not to be in a big hurry to switch over. Then maybe 6000 to 10000 miles between changes if I do make the change.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:03 PM
HemiBuell
Captain

Used regular oil in my last truck, Ford with a 5 liter. Changed it every 3000 miles, was still running like a top when I sold it at 180,000 miles. In fact I have owned 3 vehicles in my life before becoming a Dodge owner, every one of them was well over 150,000 miles when I got rid of them and they all ran great.

I don't know if there is an advantage to using synthetic, but I do know that I have always changed my oil at 3000 miles.

I say do not waste your money.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:22 PM
bluS4

ORIGINAL: MY D8ONA

I dont think I could sleep at night letting any oil stay in my new baby 25,000 miles. Just wanted some input. My brothers girlfriend is an Amsoil dealer so I think access would be O.K.. I here testimonials about the superb protection of synthetics. I trying to sort through the hype. So I'm hearing not to be in a big hurry to switch over. Then maybe 6000 to 10000 miles between changes if I do make the change.
Synthetics are far superior in maintaining their viscosity, and other properties. And changing the oil every 5,000-10,000 miles, depending on your driving style, is cheap insurance.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:20 PM
DonG
Veteran

No reason not to switch to synthetic at your first oil change. Due to more exacting manufacturing tolerances, new vehicles have not required break-in for quite a few years now. Many come filled at the factory with synthetic.

Oh yea. Even though I do use Mobile 1 agree 100% with hemibuell's post above. I've run conventional oil in most of the cars I've owned and never had an oil related problem. I have one now that's just under 200K and has never anything but conventional oil. Guess I'm just brainwashed like everyone else with the marketing hype. I agree it probably lubricates better, just better than is realistically needed.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:23 AM
hognfrog

Here in Wisconsin, Syn oil (Mobil 1) is what I use, it sits outside all winter and starts like it 80 degree's outside, no grinding or groaning at all. I change my own oil so it costs about what it would if I had someone else do it.
I leave it out side to keep the freeze thaw cycle down to a minimum because of all the salt they use on the streets.
Same thing for the wife's Saturn, Mobil 1...starts like a dream every morning

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil