3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 01:12 PM
mark rought
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission slipping

Hi, I am desperate on this issue.. I was driving on freeway when my 5-45RFE 2005 2x4 started shifting erratically and slipping....Buy the time i got to a safe location,,,,, the truck would not move anymore ...fluid level was fine... towed home and got codes P0735, p0871, p0731, p0846 fluid looked red like new.. replaced pressure sensor and still no luck (just slipped would not move)
Pulled the transmission out and took it too a retired transmission mechanic of 34 years. he rebuild it.. new solenoid block ,, speed sensors..full kit cost me.. this is the kit i got: https://transmissionfactory.com/coll...ld-kit-2005-06
got the transmission back put it in with the old torque converter.. 14.5 qts of fluid and same problem. just slips (wont move..). the cooler lines and radiator i blew out with air and flowed fine before hand..
I am lost at this point. any help would be really cool.....
05 ram
hemi.. 545RFE
1500 2x4
210,000 miles
no engine mods

Old 08-09-2019, 03:34 PM
KDodge75
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How's your line pressure? Have you checked the differential? Have a helper (or a camera) carefully and safely look under while you put it in gear and give it a little gas with the brake depressed. If the driveshaft spins but you go nowhere, problem is in the diff. If pressure is good and diff is good, I'd be leaning toward the old torque converter being bad. They always say replace the TC when whenever you have the trans rebuilt after failure. This is part of the reason.

Last edited by KDodge75; 08-09-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Putting the trans back in with the old torque converter was a bad move. All the crap from the trans that failed accumulates in the t/c, and it is impossible to clean it out without cutting it open. You likely smoked your rebuilt trans..... Do what KDodge suggests, see what happens.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:55 PM
mark rought

Im sure its not the differential..I had the cover off and checked the backlash just because the truck was in the air..with tires off..
I rebuild it about 4 years ago when the posi clips fell off inside the diff.. replaced with an Auburn ... its been great ever since...
i have no way of testing the line pressure... thx for the reply..

Old 08-09-2019, 10:57 PM
mark rought

there was no crap in it... nothing.. fluid look like new.. magnet had nothing on it either...bottom of pan nothing .

Old 08-10-2019, 06:59 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Throwing codes? If its still throwing pressure issues, I didn't see a new pump in your monster kit. If you have no way of testing line pressure, pony up and buy a gauge - or take it to a transmission shop for an assessment. Or back to the guy that rebuilt it.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:08 PM
mark vietti
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a new Torque converter in. did not help...bypass the cooler so fluid went in and out with no restrictions ..did not help..no codes but only ran it for 10 minutes in the air.
I would have to have it towed 70 miles to take it back to the guy who rebuild it. I may have to though..
I am thinking its the computer . i am also have problems with my High beams going on by themselves and and not switching back .. (replaced the handle blinker and clock spring) which would be the main computer that controls that..

Old 08-13-2019, 10:01 PM
mark vietti

It ended up being a broken wire to the transmission pressure sensor...

Old 08-14-2019, 07:53 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for posting your findings. Good work. Can you tell us any more? color of the wire and where it was broken ? trans working fine now?

Old 08-17-2019, 03:50 AM
mark vietti

Sure, it was the blue wire coming out of the pressure sensor on the passenger side of transmission.. the wire goes to the PCM\TCM .. gets very close to exhaust pipes which damages the wire..
truck is fine now..
after reading through forums i notices that most people who ask for help never return with the fix afterwords..making the thread kind of worthless. surprised people are so rude..then again maybe Im not..
thx

The following users liked this post:
Chet Ubetcha (08-26-2019)

Quick Reply: transmission slipping