3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help me!!!! Need exhaust/air intake info.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 01:12 AM
Lubee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me!!!! Need exhaust/air intake info.

At the direction of my cousin, he said to get a Gibson Tuper truck exhaust and a K&N 77 air filter system. I did exactly that. They were put on within a week of each other. I have NOT seen an increase in my performance or in gas mileage with this setup. Now, it does sound fantastic. And the side exit of the dual rectangular tips in front of the passenger rear tire looks bad ***. However, it makes me sick to think that I just spend about $650 for just some noise and a bit of look. I have a Ford Escape that takes this truck out every time. What did I miss or possibly do wrong. My good friend suggested engine managment by using a microchip. This sounds absolutely right on the money. I'm not getting performance unless I nail the passing gear. This is good, but it needs more low end response. Can someone come to the rescue and give me some help. I would really appreciate it!!!!

Lubee

Old 12-15-2005, 02:15 AM
Daddywags
Record Breaker
Default RE: Help me!!!! Need exhaust/air intake info.

What engine and year do you have?

Old 12-16-2005, 12:36 AM
Lubee

I have a 2004 5.7L Hemi. Would love some advice!!

Old 12-16-2005, 12:44 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Most people seem pretty pleased with the Superchips programmer. Might be something to look into, just don't expect monster gains.

As far as the Escape, It weights what? Probably around 2500-3000 pounds dripping wet. 200HP can do alot with that kind of weight. In the end it always comes down to wt/hp.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Lubee

Is the increase in performance from the chip noticeable? So far I'm $650-$700 without much noticeable gains other than a great sound. (Which actually may be worth the money in itself.) I would like to see some get up and go on the low end without pushing the pedal all the way to the floor.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:59 AM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

I race my dad with his 2000 Maxima with 222hp...I smoke him everytime he talks ****. So your doing something wrong...get a programmer and learn how to drive...fast!

Old 12-16-2005, 01:17 AM
Lubee

Perhaps I had higher expectations of the Hemi as it was stock. Or about my aftermarket parts. I didn't think I'd be running Mustangs. But I also didn't think I'd be boasting about beating a Nissan. Am I on the wrong page with expectations here? After all, it's a pickup truck. What really is the expectation of the exhaust, air intakes, and then adding on a programmer chip?

By the way, are you sure your Dad's driving that Nissan right? You shouldn't be beating him that bad. I think I saw him on the Nissanforum.com posting links that were telling a different story. Apparently, he was smoking his kid's Hemi.

Seriously, I would love to hear what you put in your truck!

Old 12-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Daddywags
Record Breaker

Well it is the fastest truck out there and yes faster than the Titan, I proved that wrong. The intake provides small hp gains, maybe 5-7 hp. The duals really don't do anything either maybe a few hp. If you had true duals and headers then you would see more gains. The programmer works, because you can adjust rpm and speed limits as well as shift points. But of course to see the most gains from this you must use 91+ octane.

Quick Reply: Help me!!!! Need exhaust/air intake info.