3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 Ram 1500 Sport Hits Bump and Dies, Won't Restart

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 02:28 PM
TonyB1500Sport
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Ram 1500 Sport Hits Bump and Dies, Won't Restart

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2007 Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L 144k miles and when I hit a bump the truck dies. Doesn't die slowly, but as if I've turned the key to OFF. Then it will just endlessly crack over, and Check Engine light along with a (lightning bolt symbol) icon will come on and I wont be able to get it to restart. If i disconnect the battery for a while and clear codes, it usually starts right back up and runs fine, until i hit a bump again.

Checked all fuses and connections and I can't find anything wrong. I've replaced the throttle body and TIPM and still not working. Going to replace the crankshaft position sensor, because it's cheap and easy. Anyone have any ideas? I do have an OEM remote start that was added at the factory, and my key is a reprogrammed aftermarket key. Key has worked great for years.

Feels like it a fuel or ignition problem.

Thanks,

Tony

Old 10-26-2019, 09:12 AM
Distrut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious if you have checked the wiring? Because you said it happens when you hit a bump which would tend to lead me to believe you have a wire shorting out. I Know when I had a problem somewhat similar to yours it was a wire inside the alternator. I would take it to the parts house and it would test fine put it back on the truck drive it down the road my truck would die. 3 times to the parts house and it checked fine each time I finally bought a new alternator and it runs like a dream thats been 2 years ago. I am assuming there was a loose wire inside the alternator causing the issue.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:37 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

what are the codes ? might be a short or failing sensor of some type also could be fuel pump ,,but codes may help if you can post them

Quick Reply: 2007 Ram 1500 Sport Hits Bump and Dies, Won't Restart