3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Interior light timing

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 02:24 PM
06HemiRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior light timing

Ok, I have just bought a new 2006 dodge ram 2500. The trouble is that the interior lights when you have the door open are only on for a few seconds then go off. Dealer looked at it and was no help. Does anyone know of an adjustment to the timing for the light to stay on longer than 30 seconds. Thanks

Old 12-16-2005, 04:54 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Interior light timing

Have you tried making the dimer switch isn't in the off position. I know you probably already have, but that is the only thing that I can think of at this time, even then they shouldn't come on at all. Weird. Hope you get it figured out as that can be rather annoying when the sun goes down (or before it comes up).

Old 12-17-2005, 05:54 AM
2004 Hemi Quad
Professional

You can turn the interior lights on with dimming **** on the left side of the dash, I have the Laramie and it has the auto dimming feature on the interior lights. The map lights can be turned on just by pressing them as well as the dome light. Check it out....just lightly push on the dome light and it will come on. The dimming feature was designed to give you enough light to buckle up and turn the engine on.

Old 11-23-2006, 01:36 AM
freedumb87

I know this is an old post but I am having the same problem as the original poster. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram SLT and my interior lights stay on about 15 seconds when my doors are open and then shuts off. I have to either press the unlock button on my remote to turn the lights on for another 15 seconds or close and open the door. This is really annoying when I am trying to get my son loaded into his car seat. Any ideas on what's wrong here? I looked in the manual and it says that the lights should remain on when the doors are open. What's going on here?

Old 11-23-2006, 02:39 AM
freedumb87

Ok after searching these forums and another forum I found out that this looks to be a problem and needs to be taken to the dealer so they can re-flash the light instrumentation panel.

Here is the post where I found others had the same problem:
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...ht=lights+stay

where **** is D O D G E T A L K (no spaces)

Old 11-23-2006, 03:52 PM
damquick1
Veteran

They can set this time delay at the dealer with the StarScan, ask the service guy...its under the same thing as the accessories delay, my truck was done...they stay on for 8 minutes then go off, I had all my accessories done, unlock all doors with one push of the key fob, accessories stay on for 30 minutes unless you open the door, headlights turn off after 12 minutes (so we can see to get in the house) just my parking lights flash at lock & unlock (no horn) they can set all of it, check it out at: http://www.dcctools.com/en/index.html they got a pretty good breakdown of what you can do listed there.....

Old 11-25-2006, 02:30 PM
freedumb87

Thanks for the info. I will be taking my car to the dealer soon anyways so I will get them to take care of it.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:27 PM
HuskyJazz
Professional

I also know this is an old post. However, I just recently noticed my lights doing the same thing. I have since had a 2 way alarm and remote start installed. My lights stay on for only about 15 sec unless I hit a button. The question I have is for freedumb87or whoever can help.When your truck was donig this, was it also doing it when you pushed the map light, or just when you opened the door. It doens't matter if I open the door, hit a map light or rotate the dial by my headlights to turn on the interior lights, they only stay on for about 15 sec. Unless I hit a button and then it will start another 15 sec or if the key is turned it will stay on for a while. I would like to know if the dealer can fix this and if they are going to give me problems since I have an aftermarket alarm and remote start. Any help I can get is greatly appreciated. I'll be going to the dealer soon anyway for a recall and I would like to just have a heads up on the matter. Or is this caused by my alarm, which they are denying.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:48 PM
HuskyJazz
Professional

Ok I tried the detach the negative for a few minutes, and other then my siren going off in my ear, it worked. We'll see how long it last though.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:52 PM
freedumb87

HuskyJazz, if I recall correctly it didn't matter how I turned on the interior lights. As long as my truck wasn't running the interior lights would not stay on longer than 15 seconds. If it was running then it stayed on just fine. After the dealership applied the flash everything started working as it was suppose to. So my guess is that you are having the same issue as me regardless of the 3rd part remote start system.

I see that you have it working now but I thought I would answer your original question. If it doesn't work permanently for you, then I would just run it by your dealership and ask them to apply the light instrument panel flash. They should be able to look it up on their computers and see what you are talking about.

Goodluck

Quick Reply: Interior light timing