3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tie rod adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 01:12 PM
Therigwelder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod adjustment

06 slt, I replaced front end parts, I set my camber with no problems, when I started doing toe I found that dodge didn’t add an adjustment sleeve to the tie rods, real PIA to adjust.after breaking the tie rods from the control arm I was able to spin it whichever direction I want however after adjusting and reinstalling I still was not close to my target toe, so I’ve had to go through this very manual procedure several times to get close to my target. What I also found is I can adjust close to or over my target but not precisely on. Do they sell any aftermarket tie rod setups that allow for adjustment without the repetition in and out of the control arm?I am at 3/16 toe.my target is 1/32-1/16. One turn of the tie rods I am over or under.I saw no other way to adjust the OEM tie rods other than the outer end

Last edited by Therigwelder; 11-04-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:55 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I assume this is a 1500 as 2500 don't have camber adjustments and use a different linkage system. for a 1500, the tie rods are not connected to the control arms. the outer tie rods connect to the inner tie rods.

I had an 05 1500 and you could adjust both the left and right toe setting. I do alignments for dodge every day. post some pics and maybe I can help you out.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:19 AM
Therigwelder

Yes 1500 I know the outer connects the inner.I am speaking of the ball and socket end of the tie rod.Real PIA to adjust,there is no adjustment sleeve. I have the camber set at negative.5 deg.I want my toe in to be .0625-.125 max. The closest I can get Is .25, curious as well what factory specs on caster are? My truck rolls pretty straight, but I want perfection. I’ve never taken a vehicle to a shop for anything,ever. Not about to start now.

Last edited by Therigwelder; 11-05-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Is your truck rack and pinion steering? Or the recirculating ball steering box?

Old 11-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Therigwelder

Rack Pinion

Old 11-05-2019, 08:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

So far as I know, the rod the tie rod threads onto is on a ball joint at the other end, so, it should be able to rotate relatively freely to adjust your toe. (not gonna move by hand, but, vice grips should convince it.) I think.....

Old 11-06-2019, 10:53 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

what he said.
adjustment sleeves are a thing of the past and good riddance. crack the outer tie rod end jamb nut and rotate the inner tie rod in or out of the outer tie rod. if should move tons...if it doesn't the inner tie rod is seized in the outer tie rod.
if you set total toe 1/16" toe in your fine.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:19 AM
Therigwelder

Thanks for the info, this was the first time i worked on the frint end of this dodge.I had no idea the inner rod rotated on the rack and pinion end thanks for the help, I was able to dial in the toe to exactly where i wanted it.alas after replacing the ball joints and dialing the alignment in, I still have a clunking noise on the drivers side when driving over bumps and potholes😡 Reinspected everything on that side, bounced the front end up and down, checked for any play ,rubbing and worked all joints with a pry bar looking for slack.sounds.for the life of me i cannot figure out what it is, dodges are notorious for bad front ends🤷*♂️ this truck has 150k on it.

Quick Reply: Tie rod adjustment