3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi swap 3 gen (2003) ram 1500 to newer with variable timing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 02:54 AM
marc Doss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi swap 3 gen (2003) ram 1500 to newer with variable timing

Hello all..
new here not very familiar just yet.
I am looking for some advice and hopefully someone who has done this swap.
what all do I need ( pcm , wire harness ,transmission ecm. Ignition module.. etc.)
please help me understand before I bite off more than I can chew. My motor had a valve guide explode and chew up the inside of my head and the top of number 8 piston. Luckily no holes but head has a depressed intake valve and pretty good scaring to the underside facing piston... please advise if you can help .... thank you in advance..

Old 12-10-2019, 02:56 AM
marc Doss

Also, a friend is offering me a 4th gen hemi 5.7 with harness and pcm that he has extra is th reason I am considering the swap ...

Old 12-10-2019, 02:59 AM
marc Doss

Also, a friend is offering me a 4th gen hemi 5.7 with harness and pcm that he has extra is th reason I am considering the swap ...

Old 12-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 221 Likes on 201 Posts

No you cannot, unless you plan to swap the entire electrical system from the 4th gen truck. If you had an 06-08 (first gen CAN bus) maybe, but 4th gens run on the the generation after that and you can't integrate it into your old PCI bus truck without upgrading the entire system (which means you'd have to swap other things too, like climate control, cluster, etc). Not only can your truck not run VVT, but you can't use MDS (which that engine most likely has) either. Only way you can make it work in your truck at all would be to pull the crank, swap tone wheels and lock the cam phaser; you'd still have another big problem, as the VVT hemi has a very different front timing cover and accessory drive than what your truck has.
Your best bet is to either have yours rebuilt (easiest option) or find another 03-08 5.7 (preferably 03-05, but 06-08 will work as well) out of a Ram. An LX 5.7 can be made to work, but there's a significant amount of stuff that has to be changed.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:46 AM
marc Doss

Originally Posted by Magnoom
No you cannot, unless you plan to swap the entire electrical system from the 4th gen truck. If you had an 06-08 (first gen CAN bus) maybe, but 4th gens run on the the generation after that and you can't integrate it into your old PCI bus truck without upgrading the entire system (which means you'd have to swap other things too, like climate control, cluster, etc). Not only can your truck not run VVT, but you can't use MDS (which that engine most likely has) either. Only way you can make it work in your truck at all would be to pull the crank, swap tone wheels and lock the cam phaser; you'd still have another big problem, as the VVT hemi has a very different front timing cover and accessory drive than what your truck has.
Your best bet is to either have yours rebuilt (easiest option) or find another 03-08 5.7 (preferably 03-05, but 06-08 will work as well) out of a Ram. An LX 5.7 can be made to work, but there's a significant amount of stuff that has to be changed.

So what about using the heads and pistons from the (09 we have determined ) putting new rod bearings , timing chain, push rods etc. Can I pull that one off?

Old 12-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

Heads yes, pistons you'll need to check to see how they sit at TDC depending on what rod you use. Very important to avoid PTV contact. If you bolt the heads on with stock head gaskets you'll end up at about 11:1 compression ratio, maybe a bit more. You need tuning to properly run that CR (otherwise PCM will pull alot of timing). To get it down to a more manageable 10:1 range you can either have the chambers opened up (and you can use stock eagle pushrods) or use thicker head gasket (requires custom length pushrods). Next problem you will have is port mismatch with both your intake and exhaust manifolds. You could get away with using the stock eagle exhaust manifolds but you would need adapters to use your original intake manifold.
Thing is, there is absolutely no point to bolting eagle heads to a pre-eagle block unless you intend to make more power. To do that you need a cam to work with the heads. To make that all work together you need custom PCM tuning and that's where you're royally f@cked because you have a 2003. The 2003 PCM is hands down the absolute worst for any kind of tuning outside of stock parameters. Only way around this is to alter the harness (extensive changes and repinning) to work with a 2005 PCM.

Old 12-13-2019, 03:27 PM
marc Doss

I also have the newer gen. Intake. Wire harness and pcm. I was thinking about porting the exhaust a bit already but, wouldn't the intake bolt right up. The ports would match perfectly seeing as it belongs with the heads. What am I missing here?

Old 12-13-2019, 03:29 PM
marc Doss

I am a bit confused on which push rods I would use though seeing as the Valve stems are a bit longer and the push rod as well because of the rocker arm assembly being raised and the lobes on the cam for the VVT and MDS but I have the complete long block

Old 12-13-2019, 04:19 PM
marc Doss

Originally Posted by marc Doss
I am a bit confused on which push rods I would use though seeing as the Valve stems are a bit longer and the push rod as well because of the rocker arm assembly being raised and the lobes on the cam for the VVT and MDS but I have the complete long block
Also as I compare and measure all of the ports (head and intake its self. Although the ports on the head intake are enlarged the manifold is identical. Everything is exactly the same..

Old 12-14-2019, 03:40 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

I also have the newer gen. Intake. Wire harness and pcm. I was thinking about porting the exhaust a bit already but, wouldn't the intake bolt right up. The ports would match perfectly seeing as it belongs with the heads. What am I missing here?
Go ahead and put it everything back together then you'll see what you're missing.

Evidently you missed that part. That's because the valves ARE longer. The lobes on the cam have nothing to with VVT or MDS really except where the 4 specific lifters collapse on it. You have the complete 09 long block that you cannot use.
After reading more or your questions I have come to the conclusion that 1. you have no idea what you're doing and 2. don't understand what I've been trying to tell you. I don't recommend you do this yourself.

Also as I compare and measure all of the ports (head and intake its self. Although the ports on the head intake are enlarged the manifold is identical. Everything is exactly the same..
If you you use the newer intake yes, but you have a 2003 with a giant point (has the temp sensor) and your accessories in the way. Do you intend to completely rearrange your accessory drive (as I already mentioned)?
Let my try pictures...this is your current engine:

And this is what you're trying to use:

Like I said, you can't mix and match computer components. You can mix and match some physical components, but depending on which ones you will have to change some things. I can't explain it any simpler than that short of actually doing it FOR you (and that isn't going to happen). Again, I don't recommend you tackle this yourself as you don't seem have a fundamental understanding of engines, much less the differences between these two.

Quick Reply: Hemi swap 3 gen (2003) ram 1500 to newer with variable timing