3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 06:50 PM
Gsp8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

04 Ram 1500 headlights cut off randomly. Tap das come back on. Replaced main headlight switch and problem persists. What can I do next

Old 12-11-2019, 07:06 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Is "das" a typo and you mean "gas"? If so, could be bad battery or alternator.
You should check battery voltage at rest, during start, and while engine is running. Check alternator output at battery.
Battery voltage at rest should be at least 12.4V. It should not go below 10V on start, and should be above 13V at minimum while running.
Turn on headlights with truck running and see if you get a drop in voltage.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 08:07 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsick
Is "das" a typo and you mean "gas"? If so, could be bad battery or alternator.
You should check battery voltage at rest, during start, and while engine is running. Check alternator output at battery.
Battery voltage at rest should be at least 12.4V. It should not go below 10V on start, and should be above 13V at minimum while running.
Turn on headlights with truck running and see if you get a drop in voltage.

I suspect the OP has fat fingers like I do and meant to type "dash". That would sound like a loose wore or iffy connection at a ground.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:03 AM
Michael JK
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am posting this this as an off the wall guess worth considering. Years ago while driving my 2002 Dakota at night my headlights started strobing real fast. At first I thought I was imagining it. The problem kept happening. I did some online research and found a comment about guys having horns and interior lights suddenly turning on. I think the culprit was called a Body Control Module and it was located behind the kick plate panel by the driver's left foot. I ordered that part from an online MOPAR parts place and it installed fast and easy. My problem went away. That part apparently controls all non-engine related electrical functions. Somebody here will know much more about it than I can express.

Quick Reply: Headlights