3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 04:36 PM
Gregghandy19
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont start

So i have a 2008 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7l hemi. my truck will just click. When I turn the key you can feel it slightly turn the crank but wont continue. If I sit there and keep doing sometimes 10 sometime 50 times it may start or may not. Ive replaced the the starter with a brand new not refurbished. Ive replaced the ignition switch in the column. Ive replaced the battery. Still nothing. Ive checked and cleaned grounds still nothing. The negative battery terminal is hot. Please help this is my work truck i was going go put a video but it wont let me.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:06 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregghandy19
So i have a 2008 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7l hemi. my truck will just click. When I turn the key you can feel it slightly turn the crank but wont continue. If I sit there and keep doing sometimes 10 sometime 50 times it may start or may not. Ive replaced the the starter with a brand new not refurbished. Ive replaced the ignition switch in the column. Ive replaced the battery. Still nothing. Ive checked and cleaned grounds still nothing. The negative battery terminal is hot. Please help this is my work truck i was going go put a video but it wont let me.

Have you tried to rotate the engine by hand? If you have too much fuel in the top it can hydro-lock the engine. Does the oil sell like gasoline?

Old 12-13-2019, 09:10 PM
Gregghandy19

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Have you tried to rotate the engine by hand? If you have too much fuel in the top it can hydro-lock the engine. Does the oil sell like gasoline?
i have not tried that i will tomorrow. So if is will it eventually fire over? Or never start up

Old 12-14-2019, 08:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

If it's locked up, pull the spark plugs, and crank the motor. That will clear the cylinders.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:40 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

i have not tried that i will tomorrow. So if is will it eventually fire over? Or never start up

Like HeyYou said, pulling the plugs will let it purge if you have a hydrolocked engine. It's just the later engines are not really easy to remove the plugs from. Not the worst I've seen, but not the easiest either. If you clear the cylinders, it should start if that's the problem. However, you need to find out why it locked up and correct it. If it was hydrolocked from fuel, CHANGE YOUR OIL!!!!!!! Gasoline will dilute the oil and destroy the bearings if that's the problem.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Gregghandy19

It is due for an oil change so i may do that

Old 12-15-2019, 02:52 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

It is due for an oil change so i may do that

Before you change it, pull the dip stick and smell it. does it smell like gasoline?

Old 12-15-2019, 10:59 AM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So i have a 2008 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7l hemi. my tru.ck will just click. When I turn the key you can feel it slightly turn the crank but wont continue. If I sit there and keep doing sometimes 10 sometime 50 times it may start or may not.
In your post you say it starts sometimes if you try 10 or 50 times , does it run ok after it starts ? I would double check all the grounds as there area a few , clean them all , and possible last resort could be TIPM is corride or failed internally

Old 12-19-2019, 04:06 PM
Gregghandy19

So i left the battery off for 2 days i got busy and. Wasnt able to work on it . i have not replaced anything. Because im wanting to get to the bottom of it. So what i did is went threw every cylinder and pulled a plug. I then while i have it apart cleaned the carb because it was black black. I put everything back together and went to fire it up first turn it fired right up. Turned it off the trief turning back on but this time it did the same and clicked. But only clicked twice then fired did this over and over and the more times i did it the more cranks it took to fire it over. So where should i got from there

Old 12-19-2019, 06:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Where is the click coming from? Is it a light click, from the relay, or a pretty heavy one from the starter motor itself?

Quick Reply: Wont start