3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new shocks and struts for '06 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 03:19 PM
PlorkZ
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default new shocks and struts for '06 Ram 1500

I'm looking to replace the shocks and struts on my '06 Ram 1500. I have used Bilstein heavy duty shocks on other vehicles in the past and really like them, but I also like to use pre-assembled front struts (w/ springs, bushings, etc) and can't find any Bilstein pre-assembled struts. If anyone has specific part numbers for these I would really appreciate it! Or are there any other options for good quality struts and shocks at a reasonable price that offer the struts as pre-assembled packages? I also use my truck to haul a 30ft camper so I want a strong set of shocks, I don't like a soft, squishy ride feel. Here's the full specs on my truck:
2006 Ram 1500 SLT
Automatic
4wd
4 door
5.7 Hemi

thank you!

Old 12-27-2019, 06:20 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by PlorkZ
I'm looking to replace the shocks and struts on my '06 Ram 1500. I have used Bilstein heavy duty shocks on other vehicles in the past and really like them, but I also like to use pre-assembled front struts (w/ springs, bushings, etc) and can't find any Bilstein pre-assembled struts. If anyone has specific part numbers for these I would really appreciate it! Or are there any other options for good quality struts and shocks at a reasonable price that offer the struts as pre-assembled packages? I also use my truck to haul a 30ft camper so I want a strong set of shocks, I don't like a soft, squishy ride feel. Here's the full specs on my truck:
2006 Ram 1500 SLT
Automatic
4wd
4 door
5.7 Hemi

thank you!

I looked at some of my suppliers and evidently, Bilstein doesn't offer quick strut assemblies. I found other brands, most of which I've never heard of. I've used Detroit Axle in the past with good results but those are made out of Chinesium. I have swapped springs on strut assemblies in the past, but like you, I don't like to do it. It looks like you can either get Bilseins and swap them or have a shop do it, or you need to go with another brand. I didn't find any Gabriel but I did find Monroe quick struts. Anything else, you get what you get. I think those two are still U.S. made, but that changes so fast anymore, who knows.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:43 PM
PlorkZ
Amateur

Thank you, that helps clear up the options anyway. I've had bad luck with Monroe in the past so I'm trying to avoid them. I checked some more suppliers and found Rancho strut assemblies with a 1 1/2" lift, I've never used them before, are Rancho any good? comparable to Bilstein?

Old 12-27-2019, 09:57 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by PlorkZ
Thank you, that helps clear up the options anyway. I've had bad luck with Monroe in the past so I'm trying to avoid them. I checked some more suppliers and found Rancho strut assemblies with a 1 1/2" lift, I've never used them before, are Rancho any good? comparable to Bilstein?

Rancho caters more to the custom build market. I've used them before and not had problems but I've never really had trouble with Monroes, as long as you don't get the cheap bottom line of Monroes. I had Bilsteins on my Cadillac when I got it and replaced them with Monroe shocks. No telling how many miles were on them though. Add in a 2 inch lift and it doesn't ride like new. It also has some really nasty off road tires on it.

Are you using an equalizer hitch on your camper? I'd think that's more important for stability with your set up.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:08 PM
PlorkZ
Amateur

Thanks for the insight, that is helpful. I think I'll price out a couple different options and plan to have the shop swap springs, etc.

Quick Reply: new shocks and struts for '06 Ram 1500