3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake backing plate question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 03:31 PM
Petter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake backing plate question?

Hiii,,
I just had my truck into the shop yesterday and they told me I need two new rear brake backing plates. They showed them to me and they’re all rusted up and falling apart. He said it would cost about $400 Canadian with everything he’ll have to do. He said he would also have to change fluids back there as well in order to do this. Wasn’t brake fluid he mentioned. I think it was axle or rear diff, or something. He said he would have to remove the hub too. Anyway just wondering if he’s pulling my leg to try to get more money out of me. Thanks

Last edited by jkeaton; 01-10-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:47 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Please stop embedding hidden links in your posts. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:10 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Petter
Hiii,,
I just had my truck into the shop yesterday and they told me I need two new rear brake backing plates. They showed them to me and they’re all rusted up and falling apart. He said it would cost about $400 Canadian with everything he’ll have to do. He said he would also have to change fluids back there as well in order to do this. Wasn’t brake fluid he mentioned. I think it was axle or rear diff, or something. He said he would have to remove the hub too. Anyway just wondering if he’s pulling my leg to try to get more money out of me. Thanks

They will have to remove the rear axles to fix it. I don't think I've ever had to replace backing plates from rust but the one time I worked on one damaged on a rock, it was fairly complex. He's probably talking about replacing the gear lube. If you have clips on the rear axle, they have to go in. I'm not sure what the current exchange rate between US$ and CAN$ but $400 doesn't sound too bad.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:04 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

The entire brake and parking brake (which is attached to the backing plate) assemblies will have to come off after pulling the cover, draining the gear oil, removing the pin, axle c-clips and pulling the axles. Almost guaranteed if your backing pates are absolute **** then your parking brake assemblies are as well.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

What year is your truck?

Old 01-15-2020, 07:26 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

400 sounds reasonable. They will have to open up the rear diff to release the axles.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:53 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsick
400 sounds reasonable. They will have to open up the rear diff to release the axles.
Ya I would've expected it to cost more...

Quick Reply: Brake backing plate question?