3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 liter manual swap to 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 04:24 PM
Bobby King
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 liter manual swap to 5.7

Ok so I've been trying to do my own research but I'm not very good at it. I'm looking to swap my 05 4.7 engine with a 5.7 engine. Everyone I've talked to says it's as simple as just needing the ecm, engine, and engine harness. That's it!
but then I get people saying it takes so much more. I'm looking to get a final answer of exactly what I need to make this swap happen. My current 4.7 has burnt valves and noone near me does valve work they only replace with jasper engines. I'm getting my school money soon so I need like a list of what it will take to make this happen plz! Any insight is appreciative. But I need definite answers!

Old 01-11-2020, 09:58 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

Ok...you would need a complete engine (03-08) and you need to figure out what year PCM/harness you want to switch to. The 03 is different from the 04 is different from the 05. While you can use an 03-08 engine, you can't use the 06-08 harness. 03 would be the easiest, since it would integrate into your truck the easiest. Would require the harness, APPS assembly (uses a normal pedal inside) from under the battery box, the PCM and the TCM. Hemi uses the same trans you have already. 04 & 05 use a single integrated PCM/TCM and electronic pedal. You would need that PCM programmed for your truck plus now you have to worry about SKIM (anti-theft). You can't mix and match vehicles, PCM's and SKIM's. I recommend you give Chris Squires and hotwireauto.com a shout and tell him what you're trying to do. Engine swap harness alterations are their bred and butter.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:07 PM
Bobby King
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnoom
Ok...you would need a complete engine (03-08) and you need to figure out what year PCM/harness you want to switch to. The 03 is different from the 04 is different from the 05. While you can use an 03-08 engine, you can't use the 06-08 harness. 03 would be the easiest, since it would integrate into your truck the easiest. Would require the harness, APPS assembly (uses a normal pedal inside) from under the battery box, the PCM and the TCM. Hemi uses the same trans you have already. 04 & 05 use a single integrated PCM/TCM and electronic pedal. You would need that PCM programmed for your truck plus now you have to worry about SKIM (anti-theft). You can't mix and match vehicles, PCM's and SKIM's. I recommend you give Chris Squires and hotwireauto.com a shout and tell him what you're trying to do. Engine swap harness alterations are their bred and butter.
ok. I will definitely contact him. My truck is a manual transmission. From my understanding they only made the 2500 model 5.7's manual. So where or how to acquire the appropriate ecm?

Old 01-11-2020, 10:36 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby King
ok. I will definitely contact him. My truck is a manual transmission. From my understanding they only made the 2500 model 5.7's manual. So where or how to acquire the appropriate ecm?
That makes things so much easier, should've mentioned that up front lol. A much larger percentage are automatics so it's usually a safe assumption if someone doesn't specify. You'll either need a manual trans PCM from a 2500 or if Chris can do it flash the manual trans program into the 1500 PCM. Remember, you still have to pick what year harness you're gonna use, the PCM has to match it or nothing will work right.

Quick Reply: 4.7 liter manual swap to 5.7