3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Temp Gauge via Bluetooth OBD2 Scan Tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 05:37 PM
Slowdog
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Temp Gauge via Bluetooth OBD2 Scan Tool

I drive a 2007 Ram 1500 5.7. I have searched everywhere that I know for information on using an OBD2 Scan Tool that transmits via Bluetooth to an iPad App which will create a Dashboard that will show my Transmission fluid temperatures. Has anyone been able to set up an iPad to do this? I have a Veepeak OBDCHECK Ble bluetooth Scan Tool and I am trying to figure out if the are any Apps that will show Tranny Temps. Is there a PID for the 07 Ram that offers this reading? I have noticed that most guys install gauges that operate from DIY installed sensors on the cooling lines, but I also have noted several comments on various forums that the 2007 and up Rams have such sensors already built into the tranny. I just cannot seem to find an App that will access that data.

There are several Apps that will create a Dashboard showing various real time information (speed, rpm, fuel, etc) but as I plan to tow a camper this summer on a very long road trip, over mountains, I want a Tranny Temp gauge. The Torque Pro App web page indicates that it will show this reading (although I am not sure if it will do so for 3rd Gen Rams), but it is Android only and I have an iPad. Apparently I can create a "custom PID" but I do not even know for sure if my 07 Ram has that built-in sensor. Any advice will certainly be appreciated!

One other question. I have notice some talk of replacing my OEM cooler for a cooler from a 1-Ton Ram. Has anyone come across a DIY post of that modification?

Old 01-11-2020, 09:41 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowdog
One other question. I have notice some talk of replacing my OEM cooler for a cooler from a 1-Ton Ram. Has anyone come across a DIY post of that modification?
1. Buy cooler and special quick disconnect tool.
2. Pop hood
3. Place pan under fittings on passenger side. Remove passenger side headlight.
4. Use special tool and pop fittings loose.
5. Unbolt cooler from in front of radiator.
6. Install replacement cooler, reuse hardware plus one bolt for mounting.
7. Connect fittings to cooler lines.
8. Start vehicle, check trans fluid level once warm enough; check for leaks at the fittings while waiting. Not likely needed, but top off if needed.
9. Reinstall passenger headlight.
Probably one of the easier underhood DYI's

Old 01-11-2020, 09:57 PM
Slowdog
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for those instructions! I know that will help me out!

Quick Reply: Transmission Temp Gauge via Bluetooth OBD2 Scan Tool