3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 Hemi stalling and no start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 09:26 AM
Tyler Soss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 Hemi stalling and no start.

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 5.7 Hemi. I have been having an issue for about 5 months or so where i will suddenly stall with no indication of it about to happen (no spuddering which would typically be fuel related) after stalling I would push it off to the side of the road and try to start it. when it starts again has varied from instantaneous to sometimes taking several hours to crank bank up. at times it will start but throw the ETC light (Electronic Throttle Control) and idle around 1400-1600 rpms. after a few attempts it will start up and run perfect for a few weeks or a month. the problem has been extremely intermittent and I am at my wits ends about it. here are the list of parts replaced in a time line once issue first occurred.

1. crank shaft and camshaft positioning sensor
2. throttle body
3. cool air intake
4. fuel pump.
5. throttle body once again

a few possibilities i have thought of are the IAC valve, EGR valve or the ECM/PCM. I came to this forum first in hopes to find someone either knowledgeable enough to know whats causing this or someone that had a similar issue that had it fixed by doing something other than what was previously listed.

thank you!

Old 01-17-2020, 03:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Need to find out what's missing when it dies, and won't start..... check for spark, check fuel pressure, and check for injector pulse.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:40 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler Soss
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 5.7 Hemi. I have been having an issue for about 5 months or so where i will suddenly stall with no indication of it about to happen (no spuddering which would typically be fuel related) after stalling I would push it off to the side of the road and try to start it. when it starts again has varied from instantaneous to sometimes taking several hours to crank bank up. at times it will start but throw the ETC light (Electronic Throttle Control) and idle around 1400-1600 rpms. after a few attempts it will start up and run perfect for a few weeks or a month. the problem has been extremely intermittent and I am at my wits ends about it. here are the list of parts replaced in a time line once issue first occurred.

1. crank shaft and camshaft positioning sensor
2. throttle body
3. cool air intake
4. fuel pump.
5. throttle body once again

a few possibilities i have thought of are the IAC valve, EGR valve or the ECM/PCM. I came to this forum first in hopes to find someone either knowledgeable enough to know whats causing this or someone that had a similar issue that had it fixed by doing something other than what was previously listed.

thank you!
I had a problem with mine that turned out to be the bell crank which on my 04 is around under battery box area , also called apps (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor ) , its expensive and was my last resort , so I cant promise it will cure yours , when I got my truck it had many issues an many codes , I replaced many things even fuel pump an every thing you did and more even new exhaust completely but I had many issues even water in fuel , I got it down to a few codes and it would flash the ETC light lighting bolt and go into limp mode, shut off and it would restart , would do this every so often , after the APPS replacement it stopped the lighting bolt an limp mode , that even stopped some other codes I had ,,, I have one code now for egr which is new an an issue of shifting in 4wd high by itself or get service 4wd light , I think my last 2 issues may be a common ground between the 2 or a 5 volt supply as these truck sensors share common ground and most the same 5 volt supply ,,but that was my issue as I said may not be like yours

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com...QaAk9eEALw_wcB

Quick Reply: 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 Hemi stalling and no start.