3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Terrible Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 02:15 AM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I made an appointment at the dealer to get it flashed back to stock. They told me it would take an hour so I left it for the day. Later that day I called them to find out that they didn't actually have the tool to do the flash, after being told that it would only take an hour the day before :/ . Then they proceeded to tell me that they weren't going to charge me for a recall that had to be done on my airbag. No kidding you're not going to charge me... its a recall. Anyway, they are going to let me know when they have the tool in for the tune.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:07 PM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur

Dealer still hasnt gotten back to me... Just the other day I had code P0151 pop up and shortly after the otherside came up (P0152). Its been a couple days and I have purchased the both side O2 sensors (upstream) to replace them. But for the past two days I have only had the P0152 code. The other one dissapeared. Should I go about replacing both sides or should I wait to see if that other side comes back. Ive heard you want to replace them in pairs. I also went to take a look at them but they are stuckkk in there. I have been spraying them with liquid wrench for the past week and I assume I will need to use a torch when it comes to replacing them. Should I go about replacing both of them (From what ive read, could be a potential fix) then taking a drive over to the dodge dealer?

Old 03-02-2020, 06:11 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler Oplasage
Dealer still hasnt gotten back to me... Just the other day I had code P0151 pop up and shortly after the otherside came up (P0152). Its been a couple days and I have purchased the both side O2 sensors (upstream) to replace them. But for the past two days I have only had the P0152 code. The other one dissapeared. Should I go about replacing both sides or should I wait to see if that other side comes back. Ive heard you want to replace them in pairs. I also went to take a look at them but they are stuckkk in there. I have been spraying them with liquid wrench for the past week and I assume I will need to use a torch when it comes to replacing them. Should I go about replacing both of them (From what ive read, could be a potential fix) then taking a drive over to the dodge dealer?

If the parts are the same age, I'd replace both of them. I put two headlight bulbs in the GF's car and she asked why when I replaced both.

It took nearly 3 hours to take the front of the car apart. I wasn't about to go back in a week later. Now that I've done it, I could probably do it in two hours. (This is one reason I rarely fool with late model GM vehicles.)

Old 03-02-2020, 02:52 PM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
If the parts are the same age, I'd replace both of them. I put two headlight bulbs in the GF's car and she asked why when I replaced both.

It took nearly 3 hours to take the front of the car apart. I wasn't about to go back in a week later. Now that I've done it, I could probably do it in two hours. (This is one reason I rarely fool with late model GM vehicles.)
Okay I will do that some time this week and I will let you guys know how it goes and if there is any noticeable change. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2020, 12:26 AM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur

So today I replaced the upstream O2 sensors. It went relatively well except for when I accidentally burnt myself with the torch. I have only put 20KM on with the new sensors so there isn't any codes and hopefully there wont be. I attached a picture of both of them. To me they look really good, no gunky build up, dry? I feel that the picture emphasizes the whiter looking part but it is still a lighter colour regardless. Could it be that way because of the long tube headers? More heat?
Thanks!

Old 03-10-2020, 11:16 PM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur

So im now at 1/16 of a tank left with my overhead screen telling me that I have 35 KM left on the tank. I am at 420KM on the tank currently. So I feel like the O2 sensors helped a slight amount but I feel that these are still pretty gross numbers... I will be giving Dodge a call about the tune here in a day or two and I will let you guys know what comes of it.

Old 03-11-2020, 01:46 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler Oplasage
So im now at 1/16 of a tank left with my overhead screen telling me that I have 35 KM left on the tank. I am at 420KM on the tank currently. So I feel like the O2 sensors helped a slight amount but I feel that these are still pretty gross numbers... I will be giving Dodge a call about the tune here in a day or two and I will let you guys know what comes of it.
Ya that's like getting 10 Miles Per Gallon, in Gallons... definently not what you should be getting. Maybe try putting in some Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner. That could help...

Old 03-11-2020, 02:28 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I put two headlight bulbs in the GF's car and she asked why when I replaced both.

Took the whole front end off to replace headlight bulbs? That can't be right. Are you sure you don't get to it from behind, under the hood?

Old 03-11-2020, 05:20 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Took the whole front end off to replace headlight bulbs? That can't be right. Are you sure you don't get to it from behind, under the hood?
In my 2013 Subaru Legacy they reccomend the same thing; taking the front bumper off... I just went through the wheel well on my car and squeezed my new bulbs in lol

Old 04-08-2020, 01:09 PM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur

With all of this pandemic issue going around the Tune is on hold and I have a lot of time on my hands. Do you guys know of anything else I could look at or into to figure out my fuel economy issue? Is there any way to test injectors without pulling all of them out? Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Terrible Fuel Economy