3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Right rear passenger door not opening

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 05:57 PM
Rick3015
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right rear passenger door not opening

I am brand new to this forum. I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 crew cab and the right rear door will not open. When I pull the exterior door handle to open the door the handle stays out, and I have to push it back in. The interior door handle will not open the door either. I'm sure I'm not the first person on this forum with this problem but, I am not sure how to research it as I usually don't use forums. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Rick3015; 02-24-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Probably going to have to pull the rear seats, so you can remove the door panel, and get a lock at the latch mechanism.......

Old 02-24-2020, 08:44 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Im pretty sure your 04 is the same as my ol 03. I have repaired 2 of the 4 outside door handles...and soon to be doing my 3rd...lol. As you know the outside handles are plastic. The hinge point (outside) of the handle itself is a metal pin which corrodes and causes the handle to stick out or in the "open door" position. The only way I found to correct it is to remove the outside door handle and remove this tiny hinge pin. Remove the corrosion with a wire wheel..lubricate the pin and reassemble door handle..and mount to door. It can be done with care. (The metal hinge pin corrodes and causes interference within the plastic handle)
Now...as to getting your door open...you may have to follow HeyYous suggestions. However I found this which may be an idea. My door would NOT unlock...(and thus would not open) as the outside handle was also stuck partially in the pulled open position. Maybe try ensuring your sticky outside handle is pushed in....and unlock the door a couple times to see if it will unlock (if locked??) and try to open door. Then proceed with removing interior door trim and outside door handle for the repair I suggested above. just an idea for ya...

Last edited by TrueDogman; 02-24-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:12 PM
Rick3015
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The door lock mechanism was working so, I knew that wasn't the problem. Yesterday, even with the seat in, I was able to take the door panel off since it lifts up, not inward. I pulled the water barrier plastic off, and using a flashlight, examined the inside of the door. I could not see anything broken or detached. After messing with it for a while I called it quits. This morning I went back outside in the 30 degree weather to give it another shot. Don't know if this had anything to do with it but, the sun was shining on the door and it was warm. As I began looking it over again, and manipulating the rods again and had some weight against the door, the door moved slightly. I pulled the interior door handle mechanism and viola, the door opened. I examined the latch and it looked pretty dirty so I sprayed some Liquid Wrench on it and worked the interior door handle several times, cleaned it with a rag, and it loosened up. The exterior handle would still not retract on its own so I sprayed it too. I also sprayed the lock mechanism inside the door. Everything is now working perfectly. I went ahead and did the same to the other rear door. Evidently 16 years of dirt and grime had gummed up the works.
Thanks for your ideas.

Quick Reply: Right rear passenger door not opening