3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why do I keep getting a P0524 code in my 2007 Ram 1500 5.7L??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 07:01 PM
LoneStarHemiLover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do I keep getting a P0524 code in my 2007 Ram 1500 5.7L??

can anybody tell me why a P0524 code keeps popping up in the computer even though the correct oil is being used, (5W-20) no oil is being consumed by the engine, and the oil pressure guage when fully warmed up is only slightly below the middle mark? Engine runs excellent as well. No other code except the ambient ain temp sensor (overhead display sensor) tired of clearing it out every couple of days.. Can anybody help me figure this out?
thanks guys.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:25 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The following users liked this post:
LoneStarHemiLover (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 12:56 AM
LoneStarHemiLover

Not sure if this is helpful info or not but when I connect my Bosch digital code reader to the port with the key on so it can connect to the pcm, the CEL will blink for about 5 seconds and then go solid while im reading codes, is this a sign of tragic events about to unfold or is it a common thing?

Old 03-13-2020, 12:03 AM
LoneStarHemiLover

I forgot to add that my truck has a little bit over 161000 miles on it but man she runs like a champ. I ordered a oil pressure sensor/switch from Rock Auto and imy hoping that it helps. If not then I'm gonna take it to my local dodge dealer and have them reflash the PCM. I screen shotted the TSB number and am going to show the service department before they do it. I hope it won't cost me anything.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:04 AM
LoneStarHemiLover

I forgot to add that my truck has a little bit over 161000 miles on it but man she runs like a champ. I ordered a oil pressure sensor/switch from Rock Auto and imy hoping that it helps. If not then I'm gonna take it to my local dodge dealer and have them reflash the PCM. I screen shotted the TSB number and am going to show the service department before they do it. I hope it won't cost me anything.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:32 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I was going to ask if you changed the sensor. Hope that works for ya. Most service depts do have a fee for computer work...just be fore warned 😁

LoneStarHemiLover (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 09:56 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

you are on the right track. replace the op sensor and the flash may not be required.
it will cost one hour labour to flash the pcm.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:58 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional

Any sludge build up in the oil ? I have seen the oil pickup up tube screen in oil pan get gummed up an slow the oil from circulation ,,maybe try some seafoam or even a good flush of the oil in the engine
I would flushing system before doing a reflash of pcm , but you may need to hook up a manual style oil gauge for proper readings on oil pressre

Old 03-13-2020, 05:02 PM
LoneStarHemiLover

I wouldn't think there'd be any sludge buildup but that could be a possibility, I thought that using seafoam in the MDS hemis would destroy the bearings? Am I wrong about this? I know using it in the gas tank won't hurt a thing but the oil was a different story? Not sure if what I read was true so what do you guys think? Thank yall for the replies! You guys are really helpful.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:30 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional

Originally Posted by LoneStarHemiLover
I wouldn't think there'd be any sludge buildup but that could be a possibility, I thought that using seafoam in the MDS hemis would destroy the bearings? Am I wrong about this? I know using it in the gas tank won't hurt a thing but the oil was a different story? Not sure if what I read was true so what do you guys think? Thank yall for the replies! You guys are really helpful.
I have used sea foam in my 5.7 04 ram 4x4 and it seems fine , I ran it thru fuel an oil , but I am no expert an not going to tell you to do something you don't trust, , maybe do some more research on sea foam or try something else , a different product ,if the screen is starting to clog it could conceivably cause the issue you describe , an cause oil pressure to be weak , but its just an thought .
Have you tried a mechanical gauge to check the pressure more accurately ? I would try that first , if the new oil pressure switch does not cure your issue, hopefully it does as on the older mopars a faulty oil sending unit would make oil light come on , have had several older mopars that was cured with that fix

Last edited by 72rtchallenger; 03-16-2020 at 05:11 PM.
LoneStarHemiLover (03-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Why do I keep getting a P0524 code in my 2007 Ram 1500 5.7L??