3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird Judder When Taking off

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 06:46 PM
ProStreetDriver
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weird Judder When Taking off

06 1500 4x4 5.7L, just got the truck not too long ago and it's been doing this weird judder lately. New pads and rotors, rebuilt the front calipers, brake fluid flush, new slide pin bushings, no codes, and new rear ABS sensor. After about 20min of driving, it doesn't always happen, I come to a complete stop and it gives this weird judder taking off. Almost as if the brakes are sticking. It'll do it in reverse too and it seems to be a bit more prominent there. So I took everything apart, checked the pads and hit them with some sandpaper, sanded the rotors too thinking there was some material built up causing them to stick. Checked the pistons, pushed them out and then pushed them back in. Doesn't seem like they're sticking. Pads and pins move freely, still can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Old 03-13-2020, 11:11 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be a driveline issue. Seized u joint comes to mind.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:43 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ProStreetDriver
06 1500 4x4 5.7L, just got the truck not too long ago and it's been doing this weird judder lately. New pads and rotors, rebuilt the front calipers, brake fluid flush, new slide pin bushings, no codes, and new rear ABS sensor. After about 20min of driving, it doesn't always happen, I come to a complete stop and it gives this weird judder taking off. Almost as if the brakes are sticking. It'll do it in reverse too and it seems to be a bit more prominent there. So I took everything apart, checked the pads and hit them with some sandpaper, sanded the rotors too thinking there was some material built up causing them to stick. Checked the pistons, pushed them out and then pushed them back in. Doesn't seem like they're sticking. Pads and pins move freely, still can't figure it out. Any ideas?
I have an 04 4x4 ram that does something similar , feels weird as you take off in drive or in reverse just for a sec and not every time , I haven't located the issue yet as its running driving an I am rebuilding a 79 f100 so haven't torn into it yet , but hope to soon as mine has new brakes ect an no codes,,and u - joints are good as well,,if I find out soon I will post

Old 03-18-2020, 08:05 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
Could be a driveline issue. Seized u joint comes to mind.
When I had similar problem turned out to be worn out rear yoke.

Quick Reply: Weird Judder When Taking off