3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4 overheating - New to me truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 07:39 PM
lakedawgs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went outside and spun the fan. It only moves about 5" in either direction. Would you still replace the fan clutch?
I do not mind doing it at all just do not want to if this means it is OK.
Hoping to do it this weekend once I find a decent procedure.
THANKS

Old 04-11-2020, 01:45 PM
lakedawgs

Installed a new fan clutch today. Got it warmed up and drove around the neighborhood for a bit. All seemed normal.
Hooked up the camper and took it out on the freeway and within 6-7 minutes temp was high again.
So far new thermostat and fan clutch. Any thoughts on why the temp is so high are appreciated.
Thanks much
Matt

Old 04-11-2020, 02:26 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

How old is the rad? Ever been cleaned or flushed? It's possible rad tubes are getting plugged. Enogh cooling for normal operation but not enough for heavy work? I think I would explore this possibility?

Old 04-11-2020, 02:46 PM
lakedawgs

Radiator is likely next, just exploring anything else I might be missing.
Thanks

Old 04-17-2020, 09:36 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Looking at the picture, the rad has been replaced (factory units are painted black) and you have the tow pack (both steering and trans coolers in front of the rad). Having had mopars from new until 10+ years old/150k miles - the inside of the cooling systems look brand new if you maintain it with the right coolant. Mixing chemically different coolant can cause alot of issues. I know on the hemi, you can swap rads and have alot of coolant still stuck in the system. Don't know about the 4.7.

First I'd test the coolant, make sure they mixed 50/50. Then I'd inspect the thermostat, is it in the right orientation and does it look like they replaced it when the rad was replaced. Next I'd probably pull the pump and see what it looks like inside. Gasket is cheap if the pump is still nice and new looking. If its corroded, then I'd probably put a pump, radiator, heater core, thermostat, waterneck, and hoses on the shopping list.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:09 PM
lakedawgs

I replaced the thermostat and fan clutch last week. No change when towing, still gets hot. Replaced the radiator this morning. Will hook up the camper in a day or so and get her out on the freeway and report back.
THANKS
Matt

Quick Reply: 2002 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4 overheating - New to me truck