3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Coil packs are stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coil packs are stuck

I wanted to inspect my spark plugs today but found that my coil packs are completely stuck to the plugs.

Is there anything I can do to make removal easier?? Obviously they haven't been cared for for a long time.

I need to do some work for sure....I'm getting 9.5MPG, my dads 5.7 hemi is getting 19.5 .... lol.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if I recall there are small bolts that hold each coil on, which might be under a little cover on the side of the coil pack somewhere... if you've already taken those off then sometimes you just need to pull a little harder... I would advise against trying to wedge them out though...

oh and on a 2002 Magnum (5.9L) powered 1500 you probably won't see over 14 MPG, ever....

Last edited by Izero; 11-05-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

I also guarantee that 19.5 is highway compared to your 9.5 city. I just changed my plugs 2k miles ago and I still can't get over 9.5 city so don't expect a gain. But as for your issue the coil packs are suctioned in the plug hole (not proper terminology) so they do take some elbow grease to get out. But if you have an 02 you don't even have coil packs so now I'm confused.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
I also guarantee that 19.5 is highway compared to your 9.5 city. I just changed my plugs 2k miles ago and I still can't get over 9.5 city so don't expect a gain. But as for your issue the coil packs are suctioned in the plug hole (not proper terminology) so they do take some elbow grease to get out. But if you have an 02 you don't even have coil packs so now I'm confused.
From all the stuff he's been saying on his other thread I wasn't sure if he had a newer motor swapped in there or what.... lol

Just pull the crap out of them and they will come out... just replace the wires while you're at it... enjoy.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:25 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by Izero
if I recall there are small bolts that hold each coil on, which might be under a little cover on the side of the coil pack somewhere... if you've already taken those off then sometimes you just need to pull a little harder... I would advise against trying to wedge them out though...

oh and on a 2002 Magnum (5.9L) powered 1500 you probably won't see over 14 MPG, ever....
My truck has the 4.7L engine, NOT the Hemi.

My old man also hasn't been on the highway for a long long time. his truck is strictly city driving.

Originally Posted by Izero
From all the stuff he's been saying on his other thread I wasn't sure if he had a newer motor swapped in there or what.... lol

Just pull the crap out of them and they will come out... just replace the wires while you're at it... enjoy.
I actually severely jumped the gun on the head gasket thing, really just over-reacted and did not think that one through.

The ACTUAL problem is a knocking lifter and probably sludge and crap in the engine....nothing terribly serious.

Anyway I've pulled as hard as I possibly could, and I've got some size about me so I'm slightly scared to keep pulling on them and have to buy new coils cause I broke one (or several) trying to change the plugs.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Izero
Champion

Take a picture of what you are pulling on and post it up here.....

Old 11-05-2012, 02:50 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree lets see a pic. They should slide right out.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:44 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

Yea if it actually is a coil pack then there are no wires to deal with and even a 13 year old kid could probably pull it out. I really don't think you have coil packs man

Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Yea if it actually is a coil pack then there are no wires to deal with and even a 13 year old kid could probably pull it out. I really don't think you have coil packs man

I'm an electromechanical engineer. "Coil Pack" may be the wrong term, but trust me I'm pulling on the "Coil-over-plugs"

While I don't have a picture at the moment, I wasn't the one who mentioned wires.

It does have a small plug/clip otherwise it wouldn't fire

I have a 4.7L engine, there is no distributor and no plug wires. I'm sure my plugs aren't firing magically.

The only other things to pull on are t he fuel injectors and they're stufed under the fuel rails.

Believe me, these things are stuck solidly, and yes I did unscrew the nut holding it down, and I pulled as hard as I could, wiggled slightly, twisted a bit as much as could be allowed and still these friggin things did not budge.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

Well we'll definitely need a picture then or else those things are just melted to bore the plug is in. And I meant wires as in the pre 06 Hemi's plug wires that can be easily changed out and should be changed out (not sure about 4.7s) as opposed to the "plug and play" I have on my 08 which utilizes coil packs. I guess my phrasing was off as well lol. What year is the engine?

Quick Reply: Coil packs are stuck