3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My dodge getting some love

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 12:09 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The new plug is significantly shorter than the original...... was the old plug getting hammered by the piston?
Well, the threaded part is about half the diameter as well ! :-)

Last edited by fj5gtx; 05-14-2020 at 12:20 AM. Reason: spelling...
Old 05-14-2020, 12:19 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360

Now this will send everyone for a loop. So I go check compression on cylinder 8. Took out fuel pump relay and fuse. Started truck till it died to get fuel out. Unplugged all my spark plug wires. Unplugged coil. Hooked up compression gauge to 8 and the truck would START and RUN for about 3 seconds then die. Did this for about 15 tries. So obviously something is amiss and I couldn’t get accurate reading. Ignition completely unhooked, fuel disabled and still truck was starting. I then took out all plugs on passenger side and guess what. Still would start for 3 seconds and die.
That just doesn't seem possible, refutes that you need fuel and spark for an engine to run! . I hope you captured that shocking video material on your cell phone... MoPar might buy for it as proof of product resiliency

Old 05-15-2020, 02:52 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

so I’m back at it. Got the right puller and finally got the harmonic balancer off. Anybody having trouble look at pic how I have it set up. Came off slick as butter.

installed cloyes double roller timing chain, new front crank seal installed in timing cover.

moved on to the rear main seal. Found it pretty easy to remove oil pan by lowering front diff. 7 bolts hold it up, pretty simple took only 10 mins to get them out. Also removed the cross member below the rear of pan. Oil pan slid right out. About to tackle rear main.

more to come

Last edited by 95RAM360; 05-15-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:32 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

So Rear main is done. Very simple. Just remove oil pump (2 bolts) then remove main bearing cap. As you can see there’s orange seal. It has metal in center so take a small punch and slip it out. Same with the upper one still inside engine. Once it breaks seal you can grab with pliers and pull right out.

the seal does have a specific way to be installed even though it’s a double lip. Look close and there’s a cross hatch pattern on seal. Those must face towards engine not trans.

installing seal in main cap is easy just oil it up and slide in. The upper seal in motor can be tricky. You’ll want to use the white tab that comes with the seal to install. Use it as shown in pic so you don’t tear it. It was a pain to get started but once it starts it slide right it (lube the whole seal with oil first) push till it’s flush and that’s it.

(figured I’d do it like a write up for those having trouble and to show how simple it really is)

more to come

Old 05-16-2020, 01:08 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

Well it’s done....got there at 830 this morning and I’m just now leaving (1am) so that was like a 17 hour day. Truck runs awesome. I also changed the governor pressure solenoid and transducer as well as new fluid/filter obviously...

to tired to post the rest of pics tonight...will post the rest tomorrow

Old 05-16-2020, 08:21 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
Well it’s done....got there at 830 this morning and I’m just now leaving (1am) so that was like a 17 hour day. Truck runs awesome. I also changed the governor pressure solenoid and transducer as well as new fluid/filter obviously...

to tired to post the rest of pics tonight...will post the rest tomorrow

It's been years since I did a thrash like that. It's like jogging in the summer with a snowmobile suit on. It feels so good when you finally stop.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:09 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

so here‘a the rest. I got lazy picture wise by the 12 hour yesterday...

oil pan fought me hard going in (guess that’s why they say prop up engine instead of lowering diff.

got it in after about an hour cuz the pickup tube kept spinning and wedging on the upper plate in pan. There’s a groove it’s supposed to go in.

but I drove it home, she didn’t skip a beat, ran flawlessly. Only issue I had on start up is I bent the little flex plate between trans and engine so it was scraping on torque converter. Got that fixed and she’s mint, not a single drop of fluids anywhere so I’m pretty happy.

but next week I still have to do my lower ball joints and both front axle seals. But at this point I don’t want to work on it for a couple days

Quick Reply: My dodge getting some love