3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where do i hook the tach wire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:28 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would assume you use the (+) but at the same time, did your instructions come with any diagrams or schematics?

Old 10-21-2009, 10:33 PM
tony713
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no. it just says exactly what is in the pic i scanned.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:01 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

IDK for sure with your kit because i think we are missing some info. However, you can go HERE and find the wiring info on your truck. I use that same site and wired my own alarm and RS but I had very detailed instructions that came with my alarm.

QUICK START INSTALL
Step 1 - Connect All Of the Following Wires

6 Pin Power Connector
Yellow Starter Output Connect To The Vehicles Starter Wire.
Green Heater Output Connect To The Vehicles Accessory Wire.
Red 12 power Input Connect to Constant 12 Volt Power Source- High Current.
Red 12 power Input Connect to Constant 12 Volt Power Source- High Current.
Blue Ignition 1 Output Connect To the Vehicles Primary Ignition.
White Selectable Output Select Jumper Position (If Necessary). See Page 5.

14 Pin Power Connector

Black System Ground Connect To Chassis Ground.
Pink Brake Switch Connect To (+) When The Brake Pedal Is Applied.
White Park Lights Connect To (+) Park Light System.
Green/White Hood Pin Connect To Hood Pin Switch. (Must Be Connected)
Blue/White Tach Connect To A/C Tach Souse (Tach Mode Only)
Green* (-) Start Connect to Negative start activation input.
Purple * (+) Start Connect to Positive start activation input.

* Connect only one start input. The start input will require 3 negative pulses within 2 seconds to
activate the remote starter.
************************************************** ************************************************** **********

Ok, lets try this a different way. You have a 6 pin and a 14 pin harness as indicated on page 3 of your install manual.

Now, before you go cutting or splicing wires, you want to make sure you test and check them to make sure they are the correct ones.

On the 6 pin harness
yellow (no 1) should go to your Starter yellow + (ignition harness). You cut the starter wire and put this to the Ign side of that wire.

green (no 2) should go to your Accessory dk. blue & pink/yel (16 awg) + (ignition harness)

red (No 3 and 4) can be tied together and wired to the battery OR main ignition wire.

[Side note] I have found that b/c so many wires need constant 12v, not all can be tied into the main ignition wire and therefore it is easier to run a heavy gauge wire from the batt thru the firewall for the system

blue (no 5) goes to First Ignition pink/white + (ignition harness)

white (no 6) is jumper select and should be on jumper 2 for second ignition which is Second Ignition pink/lt. green + (ignition harness)

Keep in mind any wire designated at 500mA is ONLY to be used on the coil side (pins 85 or 86) of a relay. They cannot power anything.

On the 14 pin harness

Yellow (re-arm) - Im not sure about but do know you dont need it to get it working. it might get tied into the factory alarm if you have one.

Red/White (N/A) - isnt used

Brown (disarm) - Again, this wire is not needed to start.

Orange (N/A) - Not needed

White/blue (horn) - normally goes to the ground side or the horn but Im fairly certain you wont use this because the horn is already grounded and gets 12v when you press the horn switch in the steering wheel

Black/White (N/A) - not used

Purple (+ start) - remember when you cut the yellow starer wire in the ignition harness and only used the Ignition side of that wire but not the starter side? Well this wire goes to the starter side of that yellow wire.

White (Parking lights) - Parking Lights+ wht/yel (L), wht/gray (R) + harness at top of driver fender Notes: Parking lights are negative trigger thru a 249 or 330 ohm resistor. MUST use a relay.

Green/White(hood pin) - take a pin switch if you havent already and either find a hole or drill one so you can mount this switch under the hood. make sure you scrape or sand the paint away from the base of where this switch will mount so it gets a good ground. The hood should come down and push the switch pin down so that is looses ground. There is a male spade connector on the bottom of these switches and that is where the green/white wire goes.

Green (- starter) - wont be used

Black (ground) - you know this goes. Just make sure its a good clean and solid ground.

Pink (brake) - because this needs a (+) brake wire, it is Brake Wire white/tan + (back of brake pedal switch)

Blue/White (Tach sense) - use any tach wire on any coil as long as it is NOT green/Red

Blue (Diesel) - you wont be using

I want either $100 or a good steak dinner for this. j/k........GL though.

Last edited by weedahoe; 10-22-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 PM
tony713
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so i got it all together and works great with the factory remote. hit lock 3 times and fires right up. the purple wire had to be wired to the positive output on the lock motor to send signal to the RS. thanks for all the help.

Last edited by tony713; 10-23-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Glad you go it all working. You should post all of your wiring to help others out

Quick Reply: Where do i hook the tach wire?