3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 Quad Cab PCM swap or TCM replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 02:10 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 03 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 Quad Cab PCM swap or TCM replacement?

Just need some discussion, haven't bought anything yet.

My 03 is pretty well done up now, but the 03 TCM is garbage. Just had 4.56 gears put in with a detroit locker and while it gets up and goes now, when I tow with it the hunting has gotten even worse.

2nd..3rd.. 4th, 5th.. HARD 2nd WHRRRRRRRRRRRRRR 5th..... HARD 2nd WHRRRRRRRRRRRRR

You know how they do. Had an 04 prior that I was able to tune shift points on, held gears better when towing. Been reading all I can on the 03 -> 05 PCM swap. Looks like it can be done pretty easily and tune out the downstream O2 sensors. My concerns are with my California emissions. Anyone done the 03 -> 05 PCM swap in California?

There is a MSD Programmable Transmission Shift Controller that looks like it could work too, but I can see that causing the PCM to freak out without the factory TCM there..

I guess my question is, can I do the PCM swap successfully in California?

Old 06-19-2020, 08:40 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

You should be able to, since altering the transmission side of things doesn't affect emissions, though I assume they do an OBD hookup and any kind of code fails you (they do that here). There are a few very extensive write-ups on other Ram forums that detail exactly what you need to. What you need to figure out is whether you can get away with tuning out those rear O2's; knowing CA, most likely not and you'll need to wire them in.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:48 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnoom
You should be able to, since altering the transmission side of things doesn't affect emissions, though I assume they do an OBD hookup and any kind of code fails you (they do that here). There are a few very extensive write-ups on other Ram forums that detail exactly what you need to. What you need to figure out is whether you can get away with tuning out those rear O2's; knowing CA, most likely not and you'll need to wire them in.
Yeah that's my concern as well. It's no problem to weld in some O2 bungs but shoot I'm getting too lazy in life to be bothered.

Quick Reply: 03 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 Quad Cab PCM swap or TCM replacement?