3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Dodge Ram engine shut off while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 01:01 PM
testdepth1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge Ram engine shut off while driving?

This has never happened before. My 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI engine just died while driving 50 mph on my way home. Engine shut off. I had indications and gauges on but engine shut off and I glided to a stop with no power steering or power brakes. No codes are set and I popped the hood to see if there was anything obvious, but all looks normal. Fluids all check out. I tried to start it back up and it acts like it wants to start but it won't. I placed the transmission back in park and tried to start it but it won't start. Any ideas?

Last edited by testdepth1; 06-27-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:41 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by testdepth1
This has never happened before. My 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI engine just died while driving 50 mph on my way home. Engine shut off. I had indications and gauges on but engine shut off and I glided to a stop with no power steering or power brakes. No codes are set and I popped the hood to see if there was anything obvious, but all looks normal. Fluids all check out. I tried to start it back up and it acts like it wants to start but it won't. I placed the transmission back in park and tried to start it but it won't start. Any ideas?
Any codes? Can be quite a few things. You'll need to check if it's receiving spark and fuel. Could be fuel pump, crank sensor, ran out of gas, engine locking up from lack of oil or coolant. You get the idea.

If you pour a little gas or spray starting fluid into the throttle intake and it starts briefly, it might be fuel pump.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 06-27-2020 at 04:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oneHEMI57 (08-02-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 09:16 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your IPM(Fusebox)
There's a common problem with the 04/05 models where the wheels kick up water and dirt into one of the little holes on the bottom of the IPM and this causes a circuit trace to corrode and break connection.
Usually the first thing to notice is that the parking lights don't work when you turn them on.

It's the same trace that suffers from this problem, and I had this exact problem. I knew my IPM was bad because parking lights didn't work, so I grabbed one from a wreckers and kept it in the truck until I could change it....well I'm driving down the road one day and the damn truck just stops, exactly like you're describing. Mine started back up though, so I replaced the IPM immediately after that and the problem went away.

You can use an IPM from an 04 or 05 only as far as I've been able to determine.
swap out the FCM on the IPM with yours and put the new IPM back in the truck. good to go.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:08 PM
testdepth1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel pump went out. Fuse and relay were good and I had my wife turn the key to on but not start as that applies power to the pump to prime. I listened at the tank and nothing. No whirring sound and it was dead. Replaced the pump by dropping a near full tank myself and back in business. Thank for the replies.

For a 15yr old truck it was very clean without rust underneath. There is a bunch of dirt and rocks both on top of the tank and in between the heat shield and tank so bang on that thing before getting a mouth full underneath.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

The pump ALWAYS waits until RIGHT after you fill up, to fail...... I don't think I have ever had a pump replacement on any vehicle, that had less than 3/4 of a tank of gas in it.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:27 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Fuel pump went out. Fuse and relay were good and I had my wife turn the key to on but not start as that applies power to the pump to prime. I listened at the tank and nothing. No whirring sound and it was dead. Replaced the pump by dropping a near full tank myself and back in business. Thank for the replies.
Glad you got it fixed. Just curious... how many miles did the pump last? What brand did you get?

Old 06-29-2020, 07:37 PM
RedRam2002
Professional
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This reminded me that I wanted to upgrade my fuel pump when I get all the other issues/maintenance worked out on mine - read that my year Ram at least has a stock 100gph fuel pump that is weak and its recommended to change to a 180gph pump instead.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:15 PM
04 HEMI 04
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this issue when I had my 04 and it ended up being a solenoid in a transmission shorting out and caused truck to stall anytime (one time I took a turn into a very busy street and that was scary).

Old 07-04-2020, 07:49 PM
RedRam2002
Professional
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 04 HEMI 04
I had this issue when I had my 04 and it ended up being a solenoid in a transmission shorting out and caused truck to stall anytime (one time I took a turn into a very busy street and that was scary).
How did you figure out it was the solenoid?

Old 07-10-2020, 10:51 PM
04 HEMI 04
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRam2002
How did you figure out it was the solenoid?
I took to a dodge dealership for an hour of diagnostic and they found the issue pretty quick.

The following users liked this post:
RedRam2002 (07-12-2020)

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Ram engine shut off while driving?