3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

door chime and radio stay on with key removed

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 05:42 PM
Rockymountain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default door chime and radio stay on with key removed

Looking for some advice/tips from the knowledgeable folks on this page. I have a 2005 dodge ram 3500 with 93,000 miles. It has an issue where if I take the key out of the ignition the door chime stays on and I am able to turn the radio on. Sometimes if does this, other times it works just fine. I know these trucks have a problem with the wiring they used, I have already spliced the drivers rear door so the speaker and door lock would work. I have read some forums on guys wanting to get rid of the chime altogether, but not this particular issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:51 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Has anything been done to the ignition cylinder?

Old 06-28-2020, 11:31 PM
Rockymountain

No nothing has been done to the cylinder. One evening I parked the truck and everything worked fine, no door chime, radio wouldn't play with key removed from the ignition. The next morning I open the door and the door chime is going and the radio plays. I hadn't even put the key in the ignition.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:28 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

See if you can take the car out of park without the key in the ignition.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:38 PM
Rockymountain

So might have solved the problem. After opening and closing the drivers door a million times and having the door chime go on and off intermittently. Finally traced it back to one of the large clusters of wires going into the bottom of the fuse box. You could bump the cluster of wires and the door chime would go on and then put pressure on the cluster again and it would go off. Fingers crossed this is the problem.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:58 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol, December last year, my '05 would start playing the radio when the key was out and I left the radio switch on. Open the door chimes would play as well. I have a video of it when it was happening. I could smack the bottom of the dash and it would quit. Comical!
Replaced the ignition switch and hasn't done it since.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:44 PM
ProStreetDriver
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like an ignition switch issue. Might be able to take it apart and clean it if a terminal is sticking or just replace it.

Quick Reply: door chime and radio stay on with key removed