3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent Transmission Overheat Warning and Foaming

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 10:52 PM
seamusv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Transmission Overheat Warning and Foaming

I have a 2007.1 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9L diesel with a rebuilt BD Power transmission and extended pan. For the last year, I have been experiencing intermittent transmission overheat warnings. The light on the dashboard will light up and the O/D will be disabled. I have a Mini Maxx computer and while graphing the transmission, it will go from normal operating temperatures of ~165F to 302F. Always 302F. Then it will drop back down again. The change is instant and not gradual in either direction.

The transmission has been dropped a few times and inspected. Seals replaced. The transducer (temperature sensor?) has been replaced. Wiring examined and tested. Ground contacts checked and cleaned. I have the gauge cluster currently on my workbench and I am inspecting it for damage. The 31 Ohm ceramic resistor has a crack in it but is still registering 31.6 Ohms. There is also a lot of soot on the board which I am also cleaning.

The issue happens in both the winter (-35C) and summer (25C). My normal commute is about 20 minutes and some drives will not result in any issues. The issue may present itself the moment the vehicle has been started and still parked in the driveway to driving on flat or hills. Applying the brakes or quickly accelerating doesn't cause the issue. It's just random.

No codes have ever been issued.

The next problem is that the transmission fluid is foaming. This is why the transmission has been dropped, replacing the seals, sensors, etc as it was suspected that there was an actual overheating issue. However, the fluid smells and looks fine.

So I'm not sure if the issues are related or not. If it were overheating then I can't understand why it would immediately be at 302F and then back to normal again.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by seamusv; 06-30-2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:14 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Are you losing any coolant. And I'm going to guess the 2500 is a diesel?

Old 06-30-2020, 11:17 PM
seamusv

Yes, it is a diesel and I just updated my post to include that it is a 5.9L diesel.

It is not losing any coolant.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:20 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

What has been replace in the transmission?

Old 06-30-2020, 11:30 PM
seamusv

I believe just the seals and transducer. I will get a full list tomorrow when I return the gauge cluster.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:04 PM
seamusv

My truck is actually the 2007.0 model... I was thinking the numbering was 1-based, not 0-based.

As for the update on parts and further attempts of resolution:

The parts that have been replaced are the seals and the following part numbers:

- 56041403AA Pressure sensor
- 52118500AB Transmission Solenoid
- 68218058CC Geniune MOPAR ATF

All of these parts, minus the seals, are genuine MOPAR parts. None of this has resolved the issue.

The gauge cluster was removed and I took it apart to carefully clean and inspect for any damage. There was a lot of soot around the lights but otherwise looked great. I saw no damage after carefully inspecting each trace.

The mechanic doing the work contacted BD Power and their response was to check and clean the ground connectors. This was done and no resolution.

During a test drive, the mechanic had zero issues until he pulled off the highway. He was going slow enough to hit the tow & O/D switch on the gear and the transmission overheat light went off. I've done this in the past without any success but it immediately resolved for him. I have my truck back and this wiring has been unplugged in an attempt to see if it would resolve the issue. It has not.

BD Power's next solution was to purchase and use another aftermarket programmer such as the Bully Dog. I have been using the H+S MiniMaxx for the last 7 years without an issue. Resetting to stock and reapplying with the transmission O/D codes has not resolved the issue.

I have asked the Dodge dealership here to reflash the PCM but they are balking that the existing part replacements are likely not MOPAR parts. I saw the original packaging before the parts were replaced.

With all of the items that have been replaced, wiring checks, etc, does it sound like a PCM issue or something else?

Old 07-07-2020, 09:44 AM
seamusv

I swapped my tires the other day and the issue has rarely popped up. I am now wondering if it a loose cable connection or some other RF interference that was agitated by the vibration of the previous tires.

Other electrical issues with the truck include the lack of un/locking the rear doors. At first, it was only the left-rear passenger door but now it includes the right-rear passenger door.

Are the electronics that integrated that a damaged wire could cause faulty codes elsewhere in the system?

Quick Reply: Intermittent Transmission Overheat Warning and Foaming