3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crashed Ram 1500 Engine Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 02:37 PM
Michael Nawrocki
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crashed Ram 1500 Engine Swap?

Hello Everyone, I was involved in an unfortunate accident on the night of 8-10-2020. I was driving my 2012 ram 1500 with 5.7 litre v8 hemi and whilst making a left turn was struck by a pontiac g6 on the front right of the vehicle between the tire and front bumper. I was lucky and made it out relatively unscathed with just 2 scratches on my left knee from hitting the dash and minor burn on my right hand from the airbag deploying. Pictures of the truck are attached.
  • Anyways, due to the truck having the frame totaled from the crash, we have been exploring options about salvaging parts and putting them into another truck that has been crashed or is older. I am posting here because my uncle has an old 2003 ram 1500 with a bad engine that we were theorizing about. We were wondering if it would be possible to take the 2012 5.7 litre v8 hemi from the crashed truck and swap it into the older 2003 1500. The noticeable difference is obviously the 3rd-4th gen and also (idk that it matters) the 2003 has a 4wd setup while the 2012 truck was only 2wd. Would such a feat be possible to swap the newer engine into the older truck? How difficult would it be? Would the older computer system make working with the newer engine more difficult if there even is a difference? Both trucks have the 5.7 litre hemi I am just not sure of the difference from 3rd to 4th. Basically I am just trying to hear from someone or some people problems we would run into, parts we would have to change, and how difficult it could be. If you need more information please let me know and I will get it posted ASAP. Sorry if I have confused you at all or shorted info, I am doing my best to give what I know and hopefully receive feedback.
  • Our other idea was to find a 4th gen with a wrecked rear end and try swapping what is good from ours with a wrecked front end to it, but we have the 3rd gen already in the family just sitting around with its blown engine.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:03 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Putting that engine into the old truck would be a nightmare due to computer differences. If it were me and the 2012 engine was low mile and in good condition I would be looking for a high mile or blown engine 2012 model truck to do the swap

The following users liked this post:
Michael Nawrocki (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 06:42 PM
Michael Nawrocki
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, that is exactly what we figured. Thank you for the input! Do you have recommendations of places to look online for trucks to swap?

Old 08-12-2020, 06:47 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

A difference of a couple of years is no big deal. 9 years is a different story. I would try to find a 2012 or so with mechanical problems and make one truck from the pair. As for one that's been hit in the rear, you will have two damaged frames. It's only been a couple of days. Wait and see what insurance has to say. I had a pickup once that got hammered from behind. It was totaled and I bought it back cheap. I kept the drivetrain and found a better truck than the one I had and dropped it in it. The remnants of my old truck got parted out and defrayed the cost of the new one. Then again, back in the 80's, things were simpler.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:15 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Nawrocki
Okay, that is exactly what we figured. Thank you for the input! Do you have recommendations of places to look online for trucks to swap?
wwww.copart.com there are other salvage auctions as well. good luck

Quick Reply: Crashed Ram 1500 Engine Swap?