3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems with hvac controls

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 04:44 PM
Rmgk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with hvac controls

So after replacing the backlights on my hvac controls, two problems began:
1) the heat and ac only blow on face only, face and feet, windshield and feet, and windshield only. No feet only, when I put it on that it blows on feet and windshield.
2) speeds 1, 2, and 4 work. Nothing comes out when it’s on 3.

Wondering whether this could be the control module or if it’s something with the mode doors/blower motor resistor etc. I’m leaning towards the controls because both problems occurred right when I swapped the lights. Anyone have any idea on what I should be looking for?

Old 12-04-2020, 04:50 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

It could be the control module like you mentioned. Maybe one of the wires got tangled up or something? If you are up for it, maybe replacing the blower motor and blower motor resistor wouldn't be a bad idea. They're not that expensive, and as far as I am aware they tend to be easy to replace.

Old 12-04-2020, 04:58 PM
Rmgk

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
It could be the control module like you mentioned. Maybe one of the wires got tangled up or something? If you are up for it, maybe replacing the blower motor and blower motor resistor wouldn't be a bad idea. They're not that expensive, and as far as I am aware they tend to be easy to replace.
I think the wires are fine I double checked them, I could easily replace those I’ve done before (on 2nd gen) I just don’t want to fix it if it’s unnecessary right now lol

Old 12-04-2020, 05:00 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmgk
I think the wires are fine I double checked them, I could easily replace those I’ve done before (on 2nd gen) I just don’t want to fix it if it’s unnecessary right now lol
Yup I hear you there. The only thing that I could think of is getting a replacement HVAC panel, either new or from a junkyard. That may be where the issues are coming from directly.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:37 PM
Rmgk

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Yup I hear you there. The only thing that I could think of is getting a replacement HVAC panel, either new or from a junkyard. That may be where the issues are coming from directly.
just checked the resistor and one of the pins was corroded, so I scratched it a little with pliers and twisted it for better contact and what do ya know, all 4 speeds work now. However it still won’t blow only on feet but at least now I think it’s confirmed that the module isn’t the issue

Quick Reply: Problems with hvac controls