3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque Management..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:35 PM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Torque Management..

Well, I had a look at the PCM bolted to the firewall on the passenger side of the engine compartment... There are 4 terminals with approximately 20 wires per terminal... They're easy enough to remove, just slide back the red button and then depress the black tab down and pull... They are aligned vertically, and they are color coded and only fit in one way, so you can't plug them back in the wrong way. The plug on the very bottom seems to have the vast majority of the yellow wires, and I do believe I saw one with a green stripe, however it's very dark out right now and I only had a tiny flashlight... The vehicle will not start with any of the top 3 terminals disconnected, so I decided to try leaving the whole bottom terminal disconnected... It of course threw the check engine light, and all the gears in the dash were lit up, so I had to count to make sure I was in drive before I took off... Obviously we're on the right track because boy oh boy was my torque management ****ed up. I couldn't get the truck to go above 2200rpm until the thing was in top gear. It accelerated so slowly that I couldn't even tell the vehicle was shifting. Anyways, maybe someone here can confirm the wires going into that bottom terminal? If not maybe I'll muck around some more tomorrow during the day while my wife and mother-in-law are at the movies...

Old 12-29-2005, 11:26 AM
bsprowls

I have an '03 with the hemi. I did the TM trick with the yellow/green wire and it works, but I did not like it. For one thing, It developed terrible wheel hop because it would spin the wheels so much more. The 1-2 shift felt really hard, like it deffinetly would be hard on the tranny. I put the wire back like it was. It was not worth the trouble to disconnect it.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:03 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Yeah... MOST DEFINATELY NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT A GOOD IDEA TO DO THIS MOD ON A 2005. :P
I did it this morning, just a little snippitty snip of that wire, and it turned my truck into a gutless piece of junk... It certainly modified the torque management, but not in a good way. Damnit.
Oh well, I crimped the wire back together and all seems fine now, I hope the wire never comes loose...

Old 12-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Phil

Somebody, PLEASE find a way to do this on the 05's.

Old 12-30-2005, 10:23 AM
stump_breaker
Captain

I did a search on Google and Yahoo yesterday for about an hour and I can't find anyone who has found a TCM mod for the 05's. I can't even find a PCM schematic. *sigh* Guess we're stuck with it for awhile.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:34 PM
stevearino

It cannot be done on 04-06's. It only applied to the 03's. Getting a superchips flashpak will do esentially the same thing(better throttle response, firm up shifts, hold gears longer), plus let you change top speed limiter, shift rpm's and tire size. Aaaand, check on DTC's in the PCM, let you know what they are, and clear them.
They are soon to release downloadable updates via the internet, so they will probably offer a bunch of different changeable parameters. For the 04-05 Hemi's, the flashpaq is the way to go. It can be pricey(350 or so), but VERY well worth the money.

Quick Reply: Torque Management..