3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque Management..

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 01:44 AM
Stillborn
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Management..

So I just disabled my TM. The shifts are definetly a LOT harder, my question is, is this going to effect the transmission in the long run? It also didnt seem to cut out and shut off, when I was doing donuts in the parking lot lol [it has before, when I was doing donuts] I dont really like the way it shifts with the TM disabled, I might run a toggle switch to it.. Any thoughs?

Old 12-25-2005, 03:27 AM
tramotorsports
Default RE: Torque Management..

It will not affect tranny in long run. It's better for it.

Old 12-25-2005, 03:33 AM
Stillborn
Veteran

ORIGINAL: tramotorsports

It will not affect tranny in long run. It's better for it.
Well I assumed that at first, because a transmission holding the shift longer increased the temp of the fluid and parts, BUT, with TM disabled it also seems like it has more power going through the tranny which is why I wondered..

Old 12-25-2005, 03:46 AM
muddauber5.7
Professional

I would have to differ and say it will wear more on your tranny. Like you said longer, harder shifts, running hotter, all add up to fatigue quicker!! I am curious though how you disabled the TM? Thanks

Old 12-25-2005, 04:12 AM
Stillborn
Veteran

ORIGINAL: muddauber5.7

I would have to differ and say it will wear more on your tranny. Like you said longer, harder shifts, running hotter, all add up to fatigue quicker!! I am curious though how you disabled the TM? Thanks

With the TM disabled the shifts are a LOT shorter/quicker, I meant that my first thought was that the STOCK shifts, which were longer did more harm to the tranny, but then I figured there felt like more power going through the tranny with the Torque Management disabled, it could just be the quicker shifts.

Keep in mind, cars are engineered for comfort, a faster, harder shifting tranny will outlast a slow shifting, smooth tranny, but how many people would want a car that jumps foreward and chirps from 1-2, 2-3, etc. It's more a "buyer preferance" thing than a reliability thing. Yes with the TM disabled, it is a harder shift, but it is also cutting the time that the transmission holds the shift in like 4, but most people just want a nice smooth car, and arent performance oriented in any way.

As for disabling the TM, you can only do it up to early 2003 models I beleive, there is a yellow wire, with a green stripe on it, located at the bottom of your PCM [located on the passenger firewall, right behind the air filter..you'll see all the wires going into it], you can either pull it out, or cut it. I just cut mine, I plan on putting a toggle switch, but I was just bored and curious tonight. If worst comes to worst, I'll just reattach it, I already did and test drove the truck and everything went back to normal, with the TM engaged, but I decided to take it off again, because it was more fun.

As I said, the only thing that concerns me about the transmission reliability, is IF the Torque Management cuts down on the power that goes through the transmission, if the transmission can handle the full power of the engine, I am pretty sure disabling the TM will have no negative effect.

Old 12-25-2005, 05:45 AM
ross944
Veteran

That wire is all there is to it? Id think itd feel WAY different with no torque management at all. Not that I get to find out since I drive a manual 4.7 but j/w.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:10 PM
bcm031283

i have a 2002 4.7 and i cut the wire. it only shifts hard if i get on it almost all the way and the rpms still go way up there but when it shifts it is deffinately harder. i was jus wonderin if yours still goes pretty on the rpms to shift hard cause mine acts normal with normal drivin

Old 12-28-2005, 09:26 PM
DonG
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Stillborn

ORIGINAL: muddauber5.7

With the TM disabled the shifts are a LOT shorter/quicker, I meant that my first thought was that the STOCK shifts, which were longer did more harm to the tranny, but then I figured there felt like more power going through the tranny with the Torque Management disabled, it could just be the quicker shifts.

Keep in mind, cars are engineered for comfort, a faster, harder shifting tranny will outlast a slow shifting, smooth tranny, but how many people would want a car that jumps foreward and chirps from 1-2, 2-3, etc. It's more a "buyer preferance" thing than a reliability thing. Yes with the TM disabled, it is a harder shift, but it is also cutting the time that the transmission holds the shift in like 4, but most people just want a nice smooth car, and arent performance oriented in any way.

As for disabling the TM, you can only do it up to early 2003 models I beleive, there is a yellow wire, with a green stripe on it, located at the bottom of your PCM [located on the passenger firewall, right behind the air filter..you'll see all the wires going into it], you can either pull it out, or cut it. I just cut mine, I plan on putting a toggle switch, but I was just bored and curious tonight. If worst comes to worst, I'll just reattach it, I already did and test drove the truck and everything went back to normal, with the TM engaged, but I decided to take it off again, because it was more fun.

As I said, the only thing that concerns me about the transmission reliability, is IF the Torque Management cuts down on the power that goes through the transmission, if the transmission can handle the full power of the engine, I am pretty sure disabling the TM will have no negative effect.

Sounds like you already know the answer to you own question. I wouldn't worry about the "long term" impact. The donuts will likley do your truck in long before removing the torque management will.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:16 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

How do you do this mod on a 2005?

Wiring diagrams or pics would help...

Old 12-28-2005, 10:53 PM
stump_breaker
Captain