3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gauges/wipers not working after I stalling pioneer cd player

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 04:14 PM
Robert Grimes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges/wipers not working after I stalling pioneer cd player

I installed a pioneer cd player in my 03 dodge ram 1500 and now my gauges and wipers don't work most of the time. Every once in a while the needles will move but I'm driving blind for the most past. My wipers won't work until the gauges do and then they won't turn off until the gauges work again. Can somebody help?

Old 02-23-2021, 09:13 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

How bad did you hack the wiring, because they worked before and now they don't, soooo.........?

Old 02-23-2021, 10:07 AM
Robert Grimes

All we did was check to see if there was power going to the speakers and there wasn't so we ran new speaker wires.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:25 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Did you disconnect the battery while doing the work? You may have shorted something. Try disconnecting it now for a few hours to reset things. I would say check fuses but you said it works sometimes.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:28 PM
Robert Grimes

That didn't work. Just realized that the headlights stay on without turning the ****, too. Gauges and wipers didn't really work today at all. It's one thing after another with this truck.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:39 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Grimes
That didn't work. Just realized that the headlights stay on without turning the ****, too. Gauges and wipers didn't really work today at all. It's one thing after another with this truck.
Was everything working normally prior to replacing the radio?

Old 02-24-2021, 08:43 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

A guess: you shorted the circuitry in your PDC when you were installing the radio.
You can also check the fuses to make sure they are all good. I prefer to check the backs of the fuses with a multimeter while they are in place, vice pulling them.
A faulty ignition switch could give you similar symptoms. Does the door chime when the door is open and key is in the ignition, in Off position? If so, does the chime stop if you turn key to On?
When you installed the stereo, what did you remove and disconnect? I assume the center bezel and all of the plugs, anything else? Did you disconnect the battery before handling the plugs?
What install kit, if any, did you use? i.e. Metra with steering wheel control dongle.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:51 AM
Robert Grimes

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Yes. Everything was working fine. No, I didn't disconnect the battery. I didn't think about that.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:52 AM
Robert Grimes

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Everything was working fine before I installed the radio. I did not disconnect the battery, I didn't even think about that.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:01 AM
Robert Grimes

Originally Posted by jrsick
A guess: you shorted the circuitry in your PDC when you were installing the radio.
You can also check the fuses to make sure they are all good. I prefer to check the backs of the fuses with a multimeter while they are in place, vice pulling them.
A faulty ignition switch could give you similar symptoms. Does the door chime when the door is open and key is in the ignition, in Off position? If so, does the chime stop if you turn key to On?
When you installed the stereo, what did you remove and disconnect? I assume the center bezel and all of the plugs, anything else? Did you disconnect the battery before handling the plugs?
What install kit, if any, did you use? i.e. Metra with steering wheel control dongle.
I checked the fuses, they're fine. The problem was when I bought the truck it had a radio that you can hook up an ipod to. I didn't have an ipod but I had a different radio so I was going to install that. When I took the radio out, there were all kinds of wires that I have no idea what or where they go to. It's been disconnected for years. I finally was able to get this radio in and the speakers were junk. I bought new speakers and so I found the wires that go to them but found that they didn't have power to the wires so I ran new wires. That's when everything has gone wrong.

Quick Reply: Gauges/wipers not working after I stalling pioneer cd player