3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 interference engine???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 09:05 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 382 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by bradz
Talked to the guy and he said his mechanic said his truck has a code for the cam sensor and the mechanic decided the timing chain guides were the problem.
....or maybe it just needs a camshaft position sensor. They do go bad.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:17 PM
bradz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
....or maybe it just needs a camshaft position sensor. They do go bad.
yeah, I think the "mechanic" just didn't want to mess with it or was just trying to get the guy to shell out more cash for nothing. I should have the truck in a few days so I will update with trouble codes and more info about it then.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:19 AM
bradz
Rookie

Should be getting the truck tomorrow or the next day but the guy said it acts up when going up a steep hill or when it gets up to about 45. Starting to sound like maybe a transmission problem but he said he hasn't had any problems with the transmission since he's had it. Whenever it is I should get a good idea when I drive it home.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:59 PM
bradz
Rookie

Got the truck, drove it home and it has a really bad miss. Codes are p0305 cylinder 5 misfire detected, p0113 intake air temp sensor 1 circuit high, p0344 camshaft position sensor A circuit intermittent bank 1 or single sensor, p0038 HO2S heater control circuit high bank 1 sensor 2. I'm going to replace the plugs and probably the cam sensor first and see if that fixes it. Any advice on brands?

Old 03-04-2021, 07:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,343 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Copper plugs, and mopar sensors.

Old 03-06-2021, 12:27 AM
bradz
Rookie

So I changed some stuff today. The cam sensor, air filter and thermostat because the guy said the heat doesn't work in the truck. Was going to change the iat sensor but the only one any of the parts stores had and called for was just a little bit too small and wouldn't fit in the hole. The parts stores manager was amazed by the fact and said they will contact the manufacturer about them selling parts with incorrect dimensions. When I pulled the air filter out it was completely stuffed with a nest of crap so I figure thats why the iat was throwing a code. The thermostat was easy enough but whoever designed the 4.7 must have been on some good stuff when they decided it needed to go on the bottom of the engine. Then I started changing the plugs and I started a new thread about my current situation. If anyone wants to check it out and has any pointers for me I would really appreciate it. It's titled "seized plugs". Oh and when I started changing the plugs I found that the number 5 coil was missing the nut that holds it down. Not sure if that was why it was showing the miss fire for it or not because if I'm not mistaken that's the one I can't get out.

Last edited by bradz; 03-06-2021 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:55 PM
bradz
Rookie

Finally got all the plugs changed and everything back together and fired the truck up. No ticking or rattling or any other noises. All the codes are gone except the p0038 for the o2 sensor. Truck runs great other than trying to die when I give it gas and let off. Guess I'm going to change that o2 sensor and see how it does.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:41 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 382 Likes on 343 Posts

I would check all the easy/cheap stuff first, starting with any codes it might be spitting out. Bad plugs, ...
Ha! Was first on my list. So that “mechanic” was fulla crap.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:42 PM
bradz
Rookie

Ha! Was first on my list. So that “mechanic” was fulla crap.
Thats the way it seems to me. Took it for about an hour drive and not a single problem.

Old Today, 10:35 AM
Jadwin311

The pistons have the ability to meet the valves, so they certainly are interference engines. I did valve stem seals/lifters almost a year ago and could support the valves with the pistons in TDC, so they wouldn't fall in. They are very sturdy if taken care of in the simplest manner (good oil and coolant).... mine has 320K mi. and still running like a top.
I cannot agree more. I have a 2006 Ram 1500 4.7 L magnum that has 335, 000 miles. Replaced valve cover, and oil pan gaskets. Still has plenty of power and torque. Best truck I've ever owned!!

Quick Reply: 4.7 interference engine???