3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Center Support (Carrier) Bearing Bushing Help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 05:15 PM
jake4173
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Support (Carrier) Bearing Bushing Help?

Hey guys, I seem to be going through carrier bearing bushings way too quickly. This is gonna be my third in 2 years; the bearings themselves hold up fine, it's just the rubber support material around the bearing that keeps failing.
It's the big exposed square shaped one. It's starting to go out again, I've gotten pretty good at knowing where to look when I start feeling a certain vibration (Yes, my U-joints are all in good shape.)
I think I'm gonna move to a single piece driveline to eliminate this issue, I've had my DL balanced and this last one still didn't last long and I'm tired of fighting good bearings off and buying new ones just for the rubber around them.
It's gonna be a minute before I can get my hands on one (joys of living rural) so my question is this:
Has anyone tried throwing RTV or any type of silicone/compound like that around the rubber where it's starting to fail just to help it out? I'm just looking to stiffen it up in the short term so I can get by without that vibration till I can get a new DL? Anyone ever try something like this? Any different material suggestions? I thought about wrapping the thing in Saranwrap and essentially casting it in place with epoxy but there's gotta be some give right?
The last time mine went out I ended up wrapping enough duct tape around the OD of the bearing, jamming it back in the square housing, and threw a bunch of zipties thru the tape and around the square frame to hold it so I didn't have to sleep in the cab overnight in November haha.
I was surprised that it worked so well, I guess since there is little to no force pushing/pulling that bearing axially it doesn't take much to keep it there, which is why this idea came to mind. Couldn't find any existing threads about any redneck fixes for this bushing, figured there's gotta be somebody out there...
Anyways, sorry for the long post, thanks in advance!

Old 05-20-2021, 06:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

There has got to be something going on there, that is stressing the rubber...... However, you have already addressed everything I would have suggested.

Filling it with RTV might work as a stopgap measure. Worth a shot anyway.

Quick Reply: Center Support (Carrier) Bearing Bushing Help?