3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 10:23 AM
Corey Slone
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

So I'm waiting on my lt pacesetters to get in but I'm not too sure what setup to go with for the rest of the exhaust. I know theres many variations and I know it's mostly preference but I'm looking for more of a throaty growl I'm not sure what the best set up would be. I have plenty of pipe from the previous straight pipe I did before. Also is the pipe size gonna affect what setups would work or not work? I have mostly 3 inch pipe already if that means anything

Low grade cai (will be upgrading to k&n)
Superchips tuner will be installed after pacesetters and shortly after that will be a new cam so I'm not sure if any of that would affect what setup might work best. As for the cam what's the go to for that? It's a daily driver so I dont need anything that would normally be used for race track but I definitely want it to be noticeable if that makes sense

I'm still fairly green when it comes to this stuff I'm trying to teach myself all this stuff so please bare with me lol

Thanks

Old 05-22-2021, 10:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

CAI really doesn't do much for ya, as the stock system is already cold air. High flow filter (K&N, Spectre, etc.) might help some. No real verdict on that.

Tube diameter changes tone. Larger diameter pipe, deeper the tone. Volume is controlled by what mufflers you use. Dual three inch all the way back will sound REALLY nice. Provided you don't use extremely quiet mufflers. (lots of videos on youtube comparing mufflers.) H or X pipe is optional. (having one fools the headers into thinking the collectors are longer though, which is good for scavenging. I haven't seen any real numbers on just how much of an improvement though.)

Another option would be to use the Pacesetter "Off-Road" Y-pipe. (no cat......) Of course, that is for a single three inch exhaust. Cheaper, easier, and still sounds nice.

Old 05-22-2021, 11:22 AM
Corey Slone
Rookie

Cool thanks I'll look into them

Old 05-22-2021, 11:26 AM
Corey Slone
Rookie

Is having a crossover important or no? I've read a few things on it but never all that much to figure out or not. I'm not sure how much back pressure is too much or not enough and how thay would change. I mean I can see how having one might even the flow for the two banks but still unsure

Old 05-22-2021, 12:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Backpressure is bad. See the "H or X pipe" stuff in my previous post. Worst case, you can add one later.

Quick Reply: Exhaust