3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 power adders and rear mount turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 01:37 AM
3rdGenBranden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 power adders and rear mount turbo

I have a 2003 Ram 1500 4.7l Quad cab 4x4 SLT pushing about 168k miles. So far I’ve switched to Gibson short tube headers and I’m planning to change to an 08 4.7 78mm ported TB with matching CAI and upgrading the exhaust to a Flowmaster cat back exhaust, just wondering what other things I can try to get more power right now. I keep trying to search for info but I keep finding outdated forums that are 10+ years old and lead to discontinued products. I know the HO cams are nearly impossible to find, the AirRam TB adapters are still available but the 08 intake adapters are gone, and I missed out on a bunch of other good stuff. My plan is to build a street truck slowly and save bigger upgrades for later down the line, lowered and widened with better grip and low end torque, and eventually I’m thinking of doing rear mounted turbo(s) so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would help a lot. This is still my daily so again bigger stuff is gonna be saved for later just want to do as much research as I can.

Last edited by 3rdGenBranden; 06-01-2021 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:45 AM
3rdGenBranden

I would like to add that this truck is sentimental to me, it belonged to my cousin before he lost his battle to PTSD so no I don’t want to trade for a Hemi truck and I don’t really feel like going through a whole Hemi swap. I know that’s gonna cost more and I’m fine with that

Old 06-01-2021, 08:45 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

What is your gear ratio? Do you have anti-spin (LSD, Posi Trac) rear differential?
What size tires are you running?

Old 06-01-2021, 10:45 AM
3rdGenBranden

Originally Posted by jrsick
What is your gear ratio? Do you have anti-spin (LSD, Posi Trac) rear differential?
What size tires are you running?
No idea on gear ratio, I believe it’s just a 545 RFE but not 100% sure, if I remember correctly it had a posi but it went out and the shop replaced it with a LSD, and I plan to switch to the SRT-10s 22” wheels eventually but for now I’m on 275/60r20s on 20” rims off an 08 Ram

Old 06-01-2021, 12:54 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

I suspect your gear and wheel combo is resulting in poor performance in throttle response and acceleration from a stop.
Do you know what size wheels and tires were on the truck from the factory? You're probably a couple inches taller which reduces acceleration/towing, and, your speedo is going to be off. It will indicate lower speed and miles than actual. Adding SRT wheels will result in larger speedo error and even further reduction in acceleration and towing.
You should find out more about your gearing. Also consider a tuner so you can plug in your actual wheel size and get sportier timing and shift points.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:05 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

You can't use an actual 2008 4.7 throttle body in your 2003 because the 2008+ 4.7's were fly by wire; yours is not.
545RFE is the trans, not the gear ratio (a ratio would have.........numbers).
If STS still exists you can cobble together a kit that will work.
AirRam has the kit so that you can use an Eaton from a Cobra Mustang: https://www.*********.com/threads/4-...s-vids.367696/
"Posi" and LSD are the same thing, Posi is the OLD name for LSD that GM used to use.
As you have surmised, you're kinda screwed. You can use the 08+ cams, they fit and are comparable to the old HO cams. Not sure what you mean by "the 08 intake adapters are gone"; the only adapter required is for the TB. The intake manifold bolts directly to the heads:

Another option:
https://www.boostedtech.com/solution...-supercharger/

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (06-02-2021)

Quick Reply: 4.7 power adders and rear mount turbo