3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4wd

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 07:23 AM
Sooner4421
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd

I have a 2004 Ram 1500, 5.7. I'm having trouble with the 2WD. Its a manual shift on the floor. 4HI works great, 4LOW works great, will go in N ok...but when I go into 2WD I hear a grinding noise coming from the front of the vehicle.

Checked the front differential fluid, completely full. Sounds to me as if the axle isn't completely disengaging. Any ideas? Also would it hurt, since I believe that the transfer case is shifting, if I put it in 2WD and then took the front drive shaft off?

Old 06-01-2021, 07:54 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

I think first suspect is the transmission shift cable. Looseness in the cable, lever, and/or bushing could result in bad shifts.
You can take a look at the general condition of the linkage. You can see it just above the transmission fluid pan on the passenger side. Have someone work the shifter while you look at the bushing and cable movement.
Lots of videos for diagnosing and adjusting. This is fairly common problem but easy enough to fix usually.

Quick Reply: 4wd