3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rattle on startup

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 03:22 PM
Marv107
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went ahead and ordered a kit from Blackstone, I think I should give that a try to be 100% sure, apparently it takes 1-2 weeks for the kit to arrive. My oil was recently changed so by that point there should be a good amount of miles on the oil for the sample. I'll take a look at some upgraded lifters, would just about any lifter from any Hemi, performance or truck, fit in my 2003 motor? And thanks, I'll keep a list of parts I'll need for the job, probably throw timing chain and tensioner and gears onto that list as well.

Last edited by Marv107; 06-12-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:12 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I've had that noise on both of my 5.7's for years and hundreds of thousands of miles. They're just noisy engines.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:28 AM
Marv107
Rookie

Originally Posted by Prismatic
I've had that noise on both of my 5.7's for years and hundreds of thousands of miles. They're just noisy engines.
Lol this is an old thread. I totally believe you because it's what a few people have told me by now but that's nuts because it didn't make this noise a few years ago and it sounded smooth as butter, but now it's got that almost detroit diesel sounding idle. My buddy's 06 doesn't sound like that with 160,000 miles, but I guess that's just how these 5.7's are?

Old 05-02-2023, 10:30 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv107
Lol this is an old thread. I totally believe you because it's what a few people have told me by now but that's nuts because it didn't make this noise a few years ago and it sounded smooth as butter, but now it's got that almost detroit diesel sounding idle. My buddy's 06 doesn't sound like that with 160,000 miles, but I guess that's just how these 5.7's are?
I believe the 5.7 has hydraulic roller lifters, meaning there is a roller on the lifter tips. The 4.7 has plain ole hydraulic lifters. As they wear out, hydraulic lifters lose prime when sitting, which is what causes the ticking upon cold start. Once they prime with oil, the proper valve lash is achieved and the noise goes away. This can go on for many thousands of miles (even 100K or more), but eventually it gets so bad that the lifter either seizes or can no longer prime. At that point, the lifter is no longer able to keep tension on the rocker, or can't compress...then a rocker gets ejected.

Mine (4.7) happened at 313K. Luckily, the rocker came to rest in a place that didn't cause any carnage and I was able to replace them all (you don't just replace one or two). I don't have a 5.7, so I'm assuming things happen in a similar manner. Others may correct me.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-issue-4.html

Old 05-02-2023, 10:45 PM
Marv107
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
I believe the 5.7 has hydraulic roller lifters, meaning there is a roller on the lifter tips. The 4.7 has plain ole hydraulic lifters. As they wear out, hydraulic lifters lose prime when sitting, which is what causes the ticking upon cold start. Once they prime with oil, the proper valve lash is achieved and the noise goes away. This can go on for many thousands of miles (even 100K or more), but eventually it gets so bad that the lifter either seizes or can no longer prime. At that point, the lifter is no longer able to keep tension on the rocker, or can't compress...then a rocker gets ejected.

Mine (4.7) happened at 313K. Luckily, the rocker came to rest in a place that didn't cause any carnage and I was able to replace them all (you don't just replace one or two). I don't have a 5.7, so I'm assuming things happen in a similar manner. Others may correct me.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-issue-4.html
Yeppers, they have hydraulic roller lifters, mine looked surprisingly great when I pulled them out at 232k miles. I replaced them anyway since I was in there. I'm starting to think I just have a pretty badly warped exhaust manifold, it kind of just constantly makes the noise at idle now and only occasionally goes away here and there... My brother had a 4.7 dakota that saw a lot of neglect and abuse, he's the equivalent of a gorilla in a china glass shop when it comes to cars. I hated how he treated his truck but that motor just kept running for the longest time and eventually he blew the headgasket after overheating it for the umpteenth time and he just kept driving it like that for even longer. It's definitely a testament to how well built these motors are despite a few flaws here and there.

Old 05-03-2023, 05:44 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Didn't realize this thread was that old, it showed up on the first page lol

Old 05-03-2023, 10:16 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Didn't realize this thread was that old, it showed up on the first page lol
Same here. I realized I posted earlier in the thread about lifters back in 2021. LOL

Old 05-03-2023, 11:38 PM
Marv107
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Same here. I realized I posted earlier in the thread about lifters back in 2021. LOL
Hahaha, yeah you helped me out back then, which I still appreciate.

The following users liked this post:
Dodgevity (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 07:48 AM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Lol, I was just reading through and about to recommend something. Glad everything turned out ok for you.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:53 PM
Marv107
Rookie

Originally Posted by racerxv6
Lol, I was just reading through and about to recommend something. Glad everything turned out ok for you.
Thanks! I think I can confidently say the motor is as healthy as a horse and that my issue is just the poor old exhaust, I'll be getting it looked at.

Quick Reply: Rattle on startup