3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help Transmission Issue last Option before dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 12:58 PM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Transmission Issue last Option before dealer

Ok,.... I had this prob with my truck with the solenoid pack being defective with this truck. Ok, I got a replacement part(mopar 30 day warranty) Ebay..$250 with fluid, changed it out along with the TRS plate when I was going throug the gears a couple 3 times after it been replaced at one point I heard a crunching sound now I'm getting a new issue. "Only" on a cold start and being on a slight incline in my driveway overnight Once I start it and "Immediately" try to place it in gear it has about 10-15 second delay to go into gear. If you just sit without putting it in gear for that amount of time or little longer then it goes into gear right away..Once that passes it runs very good, shifts really good. I had it what they called "relearn" and still nothing,,,The only thing I can think of is the part is defective. I did have it in a transmission shop initially for the solemoid shift pack which confirmed the original defective Pack. then I replaced it took it back to them and they put it on their computer and could not dublicate it during an over night issue so I am guessing it was on level ground they said it was shifting fine and couldn't fine anything. o-ring seal was changed out both filters changed
Do any of you Tranny Guru's might know what may of happend???
I could use any ideas at this point.. my plan is to take to the dealer
when my neighbor and I during the replacement notice the plate had some groves in it compared to the new one that didn't have any we weren't sure to change it out so we did.
Do any of you Tranny Guru's might know what may of happend???

Genuine Mopar OEM 45RFE 545RFE 68RFE Shift Solenoid Block Pack with TRS Plate
(324428341261)

Old 06-17-2021, 01:55 PM
vietti2
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend this scanner its cheap and will tell you all your clutch pressures and more . it will even do the quicklearn..or relearn yourself.
https://braydentechs.com/dodge-jeep-...vel-scan-tool/
i rebuilt my 545-Rfe with the help from this guy....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5U...M3nkaZVXfoOuzg
ask him he will help you. . just go to one of the 545 rebuild videos and ask tom.
also if the transmission needs rebuild I would just get a used one. you can find them cheap.$200-$300 all day long at least where I live you can..install it yourself...with a new torque converter and your new solenoid pack..
for example
https://offerup.com/item/detail/7800...ission&cid=5.1

Last edited by vietti2; 06-17-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:00 PM
GRed
Professional

Would it be easy to understand the scanner? appreciate the advice
to me it seems like it losing it prime for the fluid after a long sit

Old 06-17-2021, 02:11 PM
vietti2
Amateur

super easy . anyone can use it. its that easy
here is a great manuel for the 545RFE. I am assuming thats what you have a Hemi.. and not the Diesel ..

https://akppservice.by/assets/files/45RFE.pdf

Last edited by vietti2; 06-17-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:11 PM
GRed
Professional

I do Appreictae all your help,,,

Old 06-20-2021, 06:04 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a typical dodge transmission thing. There is no check valve in the trans or in the filters to keep the fluid sitting in all the nooks and crannys for long period of time. When it’s sitting level there isn’t any place for it to go but at an angle gravity lets it fall back to the pan. My truck has been doing this ever since I’ve had it with no problems. I’ve even had a trans shop look at it when I got it serviced and was told this by the tech. He used to work at the stealership and had multiple people try and get this fixed.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:21 PM
vietti2
Amateur

the drain back valves on the input clutch assembly and the round changeable filter is supposed to stop drain back... but it always seems to get buy if it sits long enough. It should only be a problem for a second or two when you first start up..
it should be normal after that.. my 04 did that from the factory but stopped doing it after the rebuild. not sure why. bu it was never a problem.. the torque converter is supposed to stop it as well...that could be your problem in fact,,,, that could be all your problems.

oh edit.. just remembered.. if you take off your cooler lines and look in the hole with the fitting still on the transmission you will see a small flap inside.(black).. that too is supposed to be a one way valve. but I removed those when i did my rebuild and don't have the problem. they looked too constrictive to me. so i removed them.

Last edited by vietti2; 06-20-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:38 PM
vietti2
Amateur

Quick Reply: Help Transmission Issue last Option before dealer