3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Lower Shock Mount Bracket, WTF

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 07:47 PM
Strongmand92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Front Lower Shock Mount Bracket, WTF

Hey all,
So I bought my 3rd gen a little while ago and its a New England edition (aka rusty ****box). Don't ask me how but the front lower shock mounting bracket snapped clean tf off right above the bottom bolt. Went to dodge to see if they had the part and he just said "you have to weld it" great help honestly. I cant find the bracket to save my life nor a part number. Im thinking about taking it to a local welder and telling him to weld it back together. Thoughts? also was looking at these https://performancelifts.com/fabtech...-fts93013.html as a replacement but unsure.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:38 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

You don't mention the year of your truck, or if it's 2wd or 4wd. There was a mid-generation change to the lower control arm for the 3rd gen, and the lower mount of the shocks are different for 2wd and 4wd.
Are you talking about the bracket that is part of the shock, or are you talking about a break in the control arm?
Either way, I'd recommend replacing the part that is broken, whether it is the shock or control arm. The suspension is in constant motion and I wouldn't rely on a weld for a connection that is under constant stress.

The following users liked this post:
Strongmand92 (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 01:55 PM
Strongmand92

Originally Posted by jrsick
You don't mention the year of your truck, or if it's 2wd or 4wd.
Sorry, I was under the assumption that they’re all the same. It’s a 2005 1500 slt 4x4 single cab 5.7 on a 3” rough country lift and level. The part I’m talking about is the bracket that the bolt goes through that connects the shock to the frame. To me it looks like it’s bolted in but dealership says it’s welded. On my broken part I don’t see any indication of prior welds. I’ll upload some pictures when I get off work

Old 08-08-2021, 07:15 PM
Strongmand92
Old 08-08-2021, 08:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,945 Posts

It's only held on by one bolt?? No wonder it broke..... If the one you posted earlier is for a 4x4, then that should work, and solve the problem permanently.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:00 PM
Strongmand92

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's only held on by one bolt?? No wonder it broke..... If the one you posted earlier is for a 4x4, then that should work, and solve the problem permanently.
Yea OEM doesnt seem too sturdy. Ive gone ahead and ordered a pair of the above link and once they get here ill install and update/close the fourm for others to see in the future! I searched high and low and couldnt find any information on my issue

Old 08-08-2021, 09:25 PM
jrsick
All Star

That piece that broke is not OEM. It was likely added as part of the lift.
The lower control arm is machined so that the bottom shock mount fits in the round form.
To mount the shock in the OEM location, you will need to remove the bolt that is shown in the last picture.
To keep your lift height, you should measure the distance between the center of the two bolts in the third picture, and add that to the length of your current shock.
Can you post of picture of the top of the front shocks? I'd like to see if that was modified also. Can you get a part number for the current shock? We can see if it is the stock part or a longer shock for the lift.

Last edited by jrsick; 08-08-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:36 PM
Strongmand92

no wonder why i couldnt find that damn part! Its dark over here now but ill take some pics in the morning. Im new to trucks and suspension but turning a wrench is easy for me. I worked on f18s for years and i had a pretty quick bmw i did all my own work on. the previous owner had a "mechanic" do all the work to it so i wouldnt be suprised if i have to fix all his ****

Old 08-09-2021, 06:34 AM
jrsick
All Star

I think you're going to find a 1.5 inch spacer block at the top of the shocks. The lower lift (that broke) is probably 1.5 inch of lift also, adding to 3 inches.
You'll need to decide how you're going to configure your shocks and control arm/upper shock mount connections. If you use the new fabtech part then you will locate the bottom of the shock 1.5 inches lower than current. This will lower your front a little and make your ride a lot rougher because you'll be riding on the coil up front.
I'd also recommend you take care of that rust, it's going to be a problem if you don't address it now.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:59 PM
Strongmand92

Quick Reply: Front Lower Shock Mount Bracket, WTF